Finding height when stone's impact increases internal energy by 2450 J

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
MentalScrew
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Okay, I have a total mass of 0.255 of a stone that strikes the ground. Assuming that the stone is initially at rest when it begins falling, how high must the stone be above the ground for the energy of the stone and ground to increase by 2450 J?


Homework Equations


Okay, so m = .255, g = 9.81 and internal energy = 2450, what I need to know is how to arrange them so that I can find an equation for height...



The Attempt at a Solution



Yeah, I really need to know...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I'm a total idiot. I know that has at least something to do with the equation, but I'm not completely sure. Anymore information you can give me?