Finding hydrocarbon K that gives one C3 carboxylic acid on KMnO4 oxidation

  • Thread starter Thread starter tipton12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Synthesis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
tipton12
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Having trouble with this one; I've tried working backwards from the three carbon carboxylic acid product, but to no avail. Please help! I can not figure out 'K'.


"A hydrocarbon K adds one equivalent of H2 upon hydrogenation over a Pt catalyst. When K is oxidized vigorously with hot KMnO4, a single three carbon carboxylic acid is obtained. Give the structures of K and the carboxylic acid."

This seems simple but K is giving me a lot of grief.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, vigorous reaction with hot permanganate is not still enough for pure hydrocarbons, this is an alkene with single double bond, this is okay. Since decarboxylation won't occur with KMnO4, I think the K hydrocarbon has three carbons. The vinylic hydrocarbon [tex]H_3C-CH=CH_2[/tex] may be the structure for K and the corresponding carboxylic acid may be [tex]HOOC-CH=CH_2[/tex]. I think the carboxylic acid should be like this, since it is principally similar with an aromatic alkane, say, toluene, which can also be oxidized with permanganate to the acid.

I may be wrong, so you will have to finish the remaining work by yourself.
 
Hmm, does permanganate cleave double bonds to give carboxylic acid? I couldn't remember this one. However, this is logical. I remember ozonolysis to produce ketones or aldehydes, so this sounds okay to me.

EDIT: I looked up my textbook and saw the example with cyclohexene to give adipic acid with hot permanganate. So your assumption is okay, I think.
 
Last edited:
I'll play around with both ideas and get back to you on my answers. Thank you both for all your help!
 
Yeah, I think KMnO4 first does a dihydroxylation, much like OsO4, and then cleaves the diol, much like NaIO4 does. The resulting aldehydes are then oxidized to the acids.
 
sorry i never got back to writing my answer. I waited for it to be graded.
This is what I did and it was marked correct:

K ____H2/Pt___K ____Oxidized___KMnO4/heat___ 3-hexene___H2/Pt___hexane w/carbocation on the 3carbon_____warm KMnO4/-OH___>> HO-C-CH2-CH3
ll
O

Thanks for your help!
 
i don't know why my answer posted that way, but the =O is supposed to be on the Carbon attached to the -OH.