Finding inner and outer radius of a hollow circle from second moment of area

  • Thread starter Thread starter kazel101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kazel101
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
trying to solve for cross-sectional dimensions with only I. Need another equation to form a simultaneous equation.
Hi! I am trying to find the inner (r2) and outer radius (r1) of a hollow circle based on its second moment of area. I have the equation that I=π(r1^4-r2^4)/4. I think I need to use a simultaneous equation and then sub this in for one of the radii. However, I am unsure of another equation I could use. Any suggestions would be great of places to look or things I have overlooked.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are many solutions for any particular value of I.
You need to specify a parameter such as the area of the section, or thickness r2–r1, before solving for r1 and r2.