Finding internal force in member BC of a truss

  • Thread starter Thread starter jackspicer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Statics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jackspicer
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
http://postimage.org/image/8i5i2dtgr/

http://postimage.org/image/8i5i2dtgr/

Homework Statement


What is the magnitude of the internal force in member BC?

Homework Equations


So I figured out the reaction force at A and D by taking the moments about point A to find the vertical force at D and then summing the x and y components to find the forces at A.

The Attempt at a Solution



So I solved for the reaction forces for A, and D already. Why can't I split the truss into three members? Why can't I take member AD and have a free body diagram for that member and solve for the Fx and Fy for Bx and By by summing the forces? Do I absolutely have to take the moment? Can I not do

Ax-Bx=0
Ay-By+Dy=0

To find the components of B? This method doesn't seem to work.
Why do I have to take the moment?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a pure truss since the horizontal and vertical members are subject to bending. When taking a FBD of AD, you must include the horizontal component of force at D, found by first taking a FBD of the vertical member.