1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding length of minute hand of clock

1. Jun 24, 2013 #1

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The minute hand of a clock travels 6.28 inches in 15 minutes. Find the length of the minute hand. Approximate to the nearest inch, if necessary.

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured the arc length to be [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] because it's traveled one quarter of the way around the clock.

I set the equation up like this-

[tex]\frac{\pi/2}{15}x=6.28[/tex]

Then I solve for x by multiplying by the reciprocal, and I'm getting 59.97.

This was a question on a test I had earlier today, and when I did it then, I got approximately 15.001 or something like that. That answer didn't seem right to me, and the answer I'm getting now doesn't seem anymore right. I can't remember exactly how I set it up. What am I doing wrong? The rest of the test was simple, this was the only one that threw me off.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why are you dividing by 15?

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I had been trying to use a linear speed formula to find the radius, but as I've thought about it more it made less and less sense.

Should I have found the circumference by multiplying the 6.28 by 4 to get the entire circumference of the circle, then divide by 2pi?

5. Jun 25, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

The pertinent fact is that circumference = 2π * radius; from this you can find the length of one quarter of the circumference. In general you want to find a formula including the unknown and the known. This is the algebraic way of thinking - get a formula that for conceptual reasons you know is correct, then plug in the numbers with less chance of making a mistake.

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5

lalo_u

Gold Member

I agreed Verty.

You may start with the definitlion of [itex]\pi=\frac{\mathcal{C}}{2R}[/itex], where [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex] is the circumference lenght.

Then, since you have the lenght of a quarter of the circumference, can clear the radio.

7. Jun 25, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All that is relevant is that [itex](\pi/2)r[/itex] is the length of a quarter circle arc. The time it takes to travel that is irrelevant. You only need the fifteen minutes to know that the minute hand traveled a quarter circle.

8. Jun 25, 2013 #7

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

So then I would want to set it up like-6.28(4)/2pi? So...approximately 8 inches?

9. Jun 25, 2013 #8

lalo_u

Gold Member

You're dividing a quarter of an arc between a full arc angle...

10. Jun 25, 2013 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

6.28 ≈ 2##\pi##, so the expression above simplifies to approximately 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted