Finding mechanical energy and force from potential energy u(x)=-4xe^(-x/4)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
hauthuong
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
a single conservative force f(x) acts on a 1.0 kg particles that move along the x axis. the potential energy u(x) associated with f(x) is given by u(x)=-4xe^(-x/4) J, where x is in meters. at x=5.0 m, the particles has a kinetic energy of 2.0J. a) what is the mechanical energy of the system? determine the equation for fx as a function of xfor what x(finite)value of x does fx=0

Emech=K+U
I plugged x=5 into u(x) = -5.73
therefore Emech=2+(-5.73)=-3.73 J Is it right?
for the second one Fx= - du/dx so I come up with fx= (4-x)e^(-x/4)
and I stuck . COuld you guy give me a hint thank you
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the notation, what is the difference between Fx and fx?
About your calculations, they look ok to me. And about the last question, I don't understand your problem. This one is easier than the others, so maybe you can elaborate on what the problem is.
 
da_willem said:
I'm not sure about the notation, what is the difference between Fx and fx?
About your calculations, they look ok to me. And about the last question, I don't understand your problem. This one is easier than the others, so maybe you can elaborate on what the problem is.
I am sorry for the typo fx and Fx is the same, for the second part : x=4 so the fx=0?
 
Last edited: