How Do You Calculate the X-Component of Force from Potential Energy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sracks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Potential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 25K views
sracks
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
A particle has the potential energy shown in the figure. See link below. What is the x-component of the force on the particle at x =5, 15, 25, and 35 cm?

All answers are in N

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/4988/figure2vn4.jpg

i know i should be using -dU/dx
but i keep getting the wrong answers when x = 5 cm
I get F = 1N
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take into account the fact that the x-axis is marked in cm?
 
I'm actually having trouble when x = 25 cm. Is there any advice on how to figure it out?
 
sracks said:
I'm actually having trouble when x = 25 cm. Is there any advice on how to figure it out?

-dU/dx means the slope of U-r graph
slope of U-r graph between 20cm-40cm are the same.
 
sracks said:
I'm actually having trouble when x = 25 cm. Is there any advice on how to figure it out?
Use the same method used at x = 5 cm.