Finding momentum, friction, and forces

In summary, In problem 1, the bowling ball has momentum (kg m/s), angular momentum (kg m/s), and force (N). in problem 2, the cart experiences friction (Ft) when it slides across the ice. Finally, in problem 3, the impulse (N s) is the result of an applied force for a specific amount of time.
vaironl
Hello forum, Vaironl here.

I believe this will be harsh thing to ask for but I will post about 3 different long problems (Easy problems) in this thread.
I don't understand a couple of things in my physics class since I arrived from a trip about 2weeks ago and missed a lot of import information.

I just need help finding things I don't know.

Thanks in advance.

Note, for some reason my book list things in kgm/s and I must convert to Newtons but I thought Newtons are kgm/s^2, you guys will understand what am talking about when you read the problems

Problem 1:

(a) What is the momentum of an 8kg bowling ball rolling at 2m/s?
8kg * 2m/s = 16kgm/s

(b) If the bowling ball rolls into a pillow and stops in 0.5s, calculate the average force it exerts on the pillow?
Ft= MΔV
F(0.5s) = 8kg * -2m/s
F(0.5s) = -1kgm/s
F = -32kgm/s or -32N ? how can I correctly do this calculation

(c) What average force does the pillow exert on the ball?
32N ?

Problem2:
(a)What is the momentum of a 50kg carton that slides at 4m/s across an icy surface?
50kg*4m/s = 200 kgm/s

(b)The sliding carton skids onto a rough surface and stops in 3s. Calculate the force of friction it encounters
Ft=mΔv
F(3s) = 50kg*-4m/s
F=67N? Again I don't know how can taking seconds from kgm/s converts this to Newtons
if possible can someone please provide me with instructions on how kgm/s transfer into Newtons.

Problem3:
(a)What impulse occurs when an average force of 10N is exerted on cart for 2.5s?
Impulse = FΔt
= 10N(-2.5s)
= 25N/s

(b)What change in momentum does the cart undergo?
P=M*V

(c)If the mass of the cart is 2kg and the cart is initially at rest, calculate it's final speed.
M=2kg V=0m/s

I can't even think about what solution its for this one.
Please if possible don't give me the answers but guide me closely to them (Sounds weird)

Physics news on Phys.org
vaironl said:
For some reason my book list things in kgm/s.
That is the unit for momentum, mass x velocity.

What is the momentum of an 8kg bowling ball rolling at 2m/s?
The ball is rolling so you need to include angular momentum as well. Assume it's a solid uniform sphere.

problem 1 and 2: F(... s) = ... kg m/s
You didn't divide both sides by s: F(...) = ... kg m / s2

Impulse = FΔt = ... N s
N = kg m / s2, so N s = kg m / s (momentum).

Ft = mv is, in terms of units, N*s = kg[itex]\frac{m}{s}[/itex]

so to solve for F would you divide both sides by t

F = [itex]\frac{mv}{t}[/itex]

in terms of units, you are also dividing both sides by seconds (s), but another way to think about dividing by something is to say that you are multiplying by the reciprocal

soooo:

N = kg[itex]\frac{m}{s}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex]

which results in N = kg[itex]\frac{m}{s^{2}}[/itex]

I hope that helps clear up the confusion about units

1. What is momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is represented by the symbol p and has the unit of kg*m/s.

2. What factors affect friction?

The factors that affect friction include the type of surface, the weight of the object, and the presence of any lubricants. Friction also increases with the force applied and decreases with a smoother surface.

3. How do forces affect an object's motion?

Forces can either speed up, slow down, or change the direction of an object's motion. The net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, as described by Newton's second law of motion.

4. How can momentum be conserved in a closed system?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all the objects in the system remains constant. This is described by Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. It is a unitless number that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It can also be determined by dividing the maximum frictional force by the normal force.