Finding oscillation frequency from a period of 0.400 μs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
bobacity
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
A medical imaging device produces ultrasound by oscillating with a period of 0.400 μs. What is the frequency of this oscillation? Answer in units of Hz.
Relevant Equations
f = 1/T
I think I can solve the frequency by doing 1/0.400 μs, but I'm not sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes . Careful with the units.
 
bobacity said:
Would 0.400 μs be 4*10^7 seconds?
No. Are you sure that you typed what you meant to type? Check the sign of the power of 10.
 
TSny said:
No. Are you sure that you typed what you meant to type? Check the sign of the power of 10.
oops, I meant 4*10^-7 seconds! Is that correct?
 
bobacity said:
oops, I meant 4*10^-7 seconds! Is that correct?
Yes, that is the period. What do you get for the frequency in Hz?
 
bobacity said:
Would 0.400 μs be 4*10^7 seconds?
That's mega-careless!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: erobz
PeroK said:
That's mega-careless!
PeroK is never rude. But he can be punny.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: erobz
TSny said:
Yes, that is the period. What do you get for the frequency in Hz?
Would it be 2500000 Hz?
 
bobacity said:
Would it be 2500000 Hz?
My spreadsheet agrees with you:

Tf
4.00E-07​
2500000​
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: kuruman