1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Possible Measurement Results of an Observable

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to find the possible measurement results if a measurement of a given observable ##Q=I-\left|u\right\rangle\left\langle u\right|## is made on a system described by the density operator ##\rho={1 \over 4}\left|u\right\rangle\left\langle u\right|+{3 \over 4}\left|v\right\rangle\left\langle v\right|##.

I am given that ##\left|u\right\rangle## and ##\left|v\right\rangle## are normalized states, and that ##\left\langle u|v\right\rangle=cos(\theta)##. The definition of ##\theta## is unstated but I assume it is some angle in real space.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the possible measurement results are given by the eigenvalues of ##Q##, but in this instance, I am unsure of how to determine these. First, I attempted a resolution of the identity to rewrite ##Q## in a different form. Because ##\left|u\right\rangle## and ##\left|v\right\rangle## aren't orthogonal, however, they do not constitute a basis. To resolve the identity operator, you need to find a complete basis. If you create a one by choosing it to consist of ##\left|u\right\rangle## as well as a proper number of other vectors ##\left|1\right\rangle ,\left|2\right\rangle ,\left|3\right\rangle ,...## all orthogonal to each other, then ##Q## is:

##Q=\left|u\right\rangle\left\langle u\right|+\sum \left|i\right\rangle\left\langle i\right|-\left|u\right\rangle\left\langle u\right|=\sum \left|i\right\rangle\left\langle i\right|##

So, I succeeded in writing ##Q## in a more compact form. However, I am unsure how much good this has done me. Because I don't know the eigenstates of ##Q## I cannot say that the possible measurement results are the eigenvalues corresponding to the states ##\left|i\right\rangle##, which was originally what I was after, because all I know about the ##\left|i\right\rangle## states is that they are orthogonal, not that they are eigenstates.

Am I on the right track with this direction of reasoning, or should I be attempting this a different way?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are the eigenvalues of the identity operator?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted