Finding Power when no time or velocity are provided?

In summary, the man weighs 125kg and walks 15m up to the top of a plane inclined at 30 degree to the horizontal. He has 9188 joules of potential energy. If he wants to go to the top of the plane, he will need to exert 746 watts of power.
samg1

Homework Statement

A man weighing 125kg walks 15m up to the top of a plane inclined at 30 degree to the horizontal.
find A) Work he has done B) the increase in Potential Energy C) If he wants to go to the top of the plane, what is his horsepower?

Homework Equations

PEo + KEo = PEf + KEf
P = W/T = Fv
1HP = 746 W

The Attempt at a Solution

I found A) and B) which gives 9188 Joules, for the C) part I'm having more difficulty. I thought that by using the law of conservation of energy I could find the initial velocity and then multiply by mg to give the power to then convert the watts to HP. Although, I doubt that this would be it. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Since HP is a unit of power there's a time component involved. Are you sure that the problem is stated in its entirety? No mention of time or velocity?

If so, the best you can do is either assume that the man walks at a constant speed and make a reasonable estimate of that speed to use in the calculation, or leave the speed as a variable in the answer (i.e. leave the answer in symbolic form).

Ok but would it make sense to use the law of conservation of energy?

samg1 said:
Ok but would it make sense to use the law of conservation of energy?
Use it how?

While the work the man is doing in climbing the the ramp is being transformed into potential energy, it doesn't tell you anything abut how fast that transformation is being carried out. Energy conservation only tells you part of the story.

Note that the man walking up the ramp implies a constant speed, so there's no net change in kinetic energy taking place.

I would have used it this way:
We know that the potential energy is 0 at the beginning and that at the end of the motion it is 9188 joules. Therefore, by using the law of conservation of energy I would equal the initial kinetic energy to the final potential energy like this -> KEo = PEf -> 1/2mv^2 = 9188 J -> v = sqrt( 2m9188) ?

Thanks for your help by the way, I'm just very puzzled with this question considering that I have no information about time or velocity to find the power.

samg1 said:
I would have used it this way:
We know that the potential energy is 0 at the beginning and that at the end of the motion it is 9188 joules. Therefore, by using the law of conservation of energy I would equal the initial kinetic energy to the final potential energy like this -> KEo = PEf -> 1/2mv^2 = 9188 J -> v = sqrt( 2m9188) ?
I think you mean v = sqrt(2 ⋅ 9188 / m), if m is the mass. But no, that won't work since the mass is not sliding or rolling up the hill and changing its KE. There is no change in velocity taking place, no net trade between KE and PE.
Thanks for your help by the way, I'm just very puzzled with this question considering that I have no information about time or velocity to find the power.
Yup, that is a puzzler. Perhaps the question is badly posed. It happens sometimes.

gneill said:
I think you mean v = sqrt(2 ⋅ 9188 / m), if m is the mass. But no, that won't work since the mass is not sliding or rolling up the hill and changing its KE. There is no change in velocity taking place, no net trade between KE and PE.
Ok thanks for your time !

1. How can power be calculated without time or velocity provided?

Power can be calculated without time or velocity provided by using the formula P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. Work can be calculated by multiplying force and distance, which can be measured using a scale and ruler. Therefore, power can be determined without the need for time or velocity.

2. Can power be calculated using only force and distance?

Yes, power can be calculated using only force and distance by using the formula P = W/t, where W is the product of force and distance. This formula does not require time or velocity to calculate power.

3. What are some real-life examples of finding power without time or velocity provided?

Some real-life examples of finding power without time or velocity provided include using a scale and ruler to measure the force and distance of lifting an object, using a dynamometer to measure the force and distance of a person running on a treadmill, and using a spring scale and measuring tape to determine the force and distance of a person jumping.

4. Is it necessary to know time or velocity to calculate power?

No, it is not necessary to know time or velocity to calculate power. Time and velocity are only needed to calculate power using the formula P = F*v, where F is force and v is velocity. However, there are other formulas, such as P = W/t, that do not require time or velocity to determine power.

5. Can power be accurately calculated without knowing time or velocity?

Yes, power can be accurately calculated without knowing time or velocity. As long as force and distance are measured accurately, power can be determined using the formula P = W/t. However, it is important to note that power may not be as useful without knowing time or velocity, as it is often used to measure the rate at which work is done.