How do I calculate the magnitude of initial acceleration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 7K views
sarahin3d
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A system consists of a bicycle and a cyclist traveling at a constant velocity along a horizontal road.

The total resistive force acting on the system in 4.0N and its speed is 8.0 m/s. Calculate the useful power output of the cyclist.

The cyclist stops pedalling and the system comes to rest. The total mass of the system is 70kg.
i) Calculate the magnitude of the initial acceleration of the system.

Homework Equations



P=Fv
s=ut+1/2at

The Attempt at a Solution



Alright so I used P=Fv to find the useful power output and I think I got the answer to that right.
P=Fv
P=(40)(8)
P=320 W

I don't know how to calculate the magnitude of the intial acceleration of the system. I would think that since the velocity is constant that the acceleration would have a magnitude of 0. This question is a 2 mark problem so I don't think that that answer would be right.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sarahin3d said:
I don't know how to calculate the magnitude of the intial acceleration of the system. I would think that since the velocity is constant that the acceleration would have a magnitude of 0. This question is a 2 mark problem so I don't think that that answer would be right.
Hi sarahin3d, welcome to Physics Forums.

The velocity was constant while he was peddling. But for this part of the question it says that the cyclist stops peddling.
 
Hi

use the formula of force

F=ma

F= 40 N
m=70 kg
a=?

40=70 a
a= 40/70 ==> 0.57ms-2
 
gneill said:
while he was peddling
What was he selling?
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian, vela, arst and 1 other person
haruspex said:
What was he selling?
Ha! Oops, that was a brainfart typo! o:)
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: arst
arst said:
it should be 40
How do you know? It was posted by @sarahin3d, who appears no longer to be a member. Have you seen the source of the question?
 
haruspex said:
How do you know? It was posted by @sarahin3d, who appears no longer to be a member. Have you seen the source of the question?
Yeah, I have the same source of question. it is 40 Newtons
 
arst said:
Yeah, I have the same source of question. it is 40 Newtons
Ok, thanks. But probably should answer as signed: -0.57m/s2.