Finding radius of sphere with six times the mass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
need_aca_help
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two spheres are cut from a certain uniform rock. One has radius 4.30 cm. The mass of the other is six times greater. Find its radius.


Homework Equations


v = (4/3)(pi)(r)^3
m = vp


The Attempt at a Solution


6[(4/3)(pi)(r1)3] = (4/3)(pi)(r2)3
8(pi)(r1)3 = (4/3)(pi)(r2)3
6(r1)3 = (r2)3
6(4.3)(1/3) = 9.7568

Answer:
9.76 cm

I got this question wrong for some reason... Where is my mistake...?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
need_aca_help said:


6(r1)3 = (r2)3
6(4.3)(1/3) = 9.7568

Answer:
9.76 cm

I got this question wrong for some reason... Where is my mistake...?


Going from 2nd last to last equation you made your basic mistake.
 
If you take a sphere with radius r, and make another sphere with radius 2*r, what is the ratio of the volume of the bigger sphere to the smaller sphere?
 
need_aca_help said:
I don't see it... :(

Take the cube root of each side. Your mistake is on the left-hand side.
Fact: (ab3)1/3 = a1/3b