Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding reaction products in reduction chemistry

1. Jul 22, 2016 #1
    Contrary to potential appearance, this is not homework. I've been out of college for a long time now. Just working on a project with my kids and I'm trying to approach specific energy of these reduction reactions from the theoretical side, mostly so I know what sort of safety precautions to take.

I can balance the equations and find the bond energies and all that stuff to get an idea of reaction chemistry and specific energy, but only if I already know both sides of the equation. Here are the reagents I'm looking at:

Na2S2O5 + KNO3 → ?

Na2S2O5 + KNO3 + Fe2O3 → ?

Na2S2O5 + KNO3 + C12H22O11 → ?

KNO3 + C12H22O11 → ?

KNO3 + C12H22O11 + Fe2O3 → ?

Na2S2O5 + KNO3 + C12H22O11 + Fe2O3 → ?

I know that Na2S2O5 + KNO3 can react to form Na2S04 + KNO + S03 and that KNO3 + C12H22O11 will produce CO2 and H2O but I don't know exactly where the potassium and nitrogen end up in the latter reaction. I suspect that the water and sulfur trioxide could then react as well, though I don't know whether the sulfur would act to poison the other parts of the reaction. And I have no idea what the Fe2O3 would do to it all.

And before anyone asks: yes, I know that numerous sulfur oxides and a lot of other potential byproducts are toxic. Necessary precautions will be taken.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2016 #2
    Take the same precautions as for gunpowder.

Just expect the most stable compounds: N2 and K2O or K2S.

It's a redox catalyst.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted