Finding residue of a function(complex analysis)

In summary, the problem involves finding the residue of a function with a pole of order 2. The formula for calculating the residue in this case is given, and the user suggests using the inverse function to find the residue.
gametheory

Homework Statement

I need to find the residue of [itex]\frac{e^{iz}}{(1+9z^{2})^{2}}[/itex] so I can use it as part of the residue theorem for a problem.

Homework Equations

Laurent Series
R(z[itex]_{0}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{g(z_{0})}{h^{'}(z_{0})}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the laurent series but after expanding I got a 0 in the denominator.
For the second equation I used I also got a 0 in the denominator and I don't believe it converges. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the inverse of the function (call it f(z)), you have a zero of order 2. So you have a pole of order 2 for your function. The formula for this goes like ## \text{Res}(f,i/3) = \lim_{z \to a}\frac{d}{dz}\left( (z-i/3)^2 \frac{\exp (i z)}{(1+9z^2)^2} \right) ##

you can do the others

## \text{Res}(f,a) = \lim_{z \to a} \frac{1}{(m-1)!}\frac{d^{m-1}}{dz^{m-1}} (z-a)^m f(z) ##

If the pole is of order m. I think. Maybe look that up.

1. What is the definition of residue in complex analysis?

The residue of a function at a point is the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around that point. It is a measure of the singularity of the function at that point.

2. How is the residue of a function calculated?

To calculate the residue of a function at a point, we can use the Cauchy Residue Theorem. This states that the residue can be found by evaluating the function at the point and dividing by the derivative of the function at that point. Alternatively, we can also find the Laurent series expansion of the function and take the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power.

3. What is the significance of finding the residue of a function?

The residue of a function plays a crucial role in complex analysis, particularly in the study of contour integrals. It helps us to evaluate complex integrals, and it also provides information about the singularities of the function, such as poles and essential singularities.

4. Can the residue of a function be negative?

Yes, the residue of a function can be negative. This can happen when the function has a pole of order greater than 1 at the point of interest. In this case, the residue will be the negative of the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power in the Laurent series expansion.

5. Is it possible for a function to have more than one residue at a point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have more than one residue at a point. This can happen when the function has multiple singularities at that point, such as poles of different orders. In this case, the residue will be the sum of the residues at each singularity.