What is the residue of cot(z) at z=0?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dixanadu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Residue
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
Dixanadu
Messages
250
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


So guys..the title says it! I need to find the residue of cot(z) at z=0.


Homework Equations


For this situation, since the pole order is 1

[itex]Residue=\lim_{z \to z_{0}}(z-z_{0})f(z)[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


So here's what I am doing in steps:

First, the singularity is at z=0. So [itex]z_{0}=0[/itex].

Then I multiply both sides by [itex](z-z_{0})=z[/itex]...to get [itex](z-z_{0})f(z)=zcot(z)[/itex]

Now taking the limit of this is as z = 0 is [itex]0 \times \frac{cos(0)}{sin(0)}=0[/itex]...but this is wrong, the residue is 1...

I know its something stupid that I am doing but what is it? even if i expand sin and cos I still end up with 0...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Study this argument carefully and see if that doesn't remind you of some elementary calculus:

Dixanadu said:
[itex]0 \times \frac{cos(0)}{sin(0)}=0[/itex]
 
Yea I guess you're supposed to use L'Hopital's rule to find the behaviour of the function towards a limit...textbook didnt really say that
 
Dixanadu said:
textbook didnt really say that

For most problems you encounter, there won't be a textbook to tell you anything at all. Take a minute to understand the trick.