Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,745 replies · 392K views
"quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patentia nostra."

The opening line of Cicero's In Catilinam I speech against Catilina. In my opinion, this is probably the coolest quote due to the fact it shows off Cicero's awesome oratory and rhetoric skills which may have singlehandely saved Rome from a conspiracy that could have destroyed it.

Oh here's a crappy translation from somewhere: How long, O Catiline, will you abuse our patience? This translation certainly doesn't quite show the power in Cicero's words but it's alright.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
" A specialist is someone who knows more and more about less and less, until s/he knows

everything about nothing"

Don't know by who.

" In Harvard, even the owls are so educated that they say whom, instead of who"
 
You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps... his PRIDE!

Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z)

And of course

Nappa: Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAND!
 
"I knew something was wrong when a pretty little white girl ran to a black mans arms" - Charles Ramsey
 
Borek said:
In God we trust. All others must bring data.

And have their findings peer-reviewed.


Edit: "It takes many nails to build a crib, but only one screw to fill it" :blushing:
-I don't know who
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"When I feed the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara, Archbishop of Recife, Brazi]
 
" Parents work hard to give their children a better life than they had, only to then complain that
their children have it too easy." Unknown.
 
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are devil but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein -
 
"I am the Shade.
Through the dolent city, I flee.
Through the eternal woe, I take flight."

:- Dan Brown, in his latest novel "Inferno".

Other two quotes are in my signature... :wink:
 
While I am standing still, I prefer the stillness here. I am tired of earth, these people, I'm tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives
-Dr. Manhattan
 
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
-Jim Downey,final part of the academic decathlon in the movie Billy Madison.
 
"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus"
-Christopher Hitchens
 
“It’s not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly…. Who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.” -Teddy Roosevelt
 
Favorite Quotes

Found while surfing the internet. :-p
Recent studies reveal that dead people score poorly on comprehension tests when compared to scores they achieved while alive.
 
"The most serious charges were suppressed; the Vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, murder, rape, sodomy, and incest." - Edward Gibbon
 
In gest I poked our landscape maintenance man in his 50" belly and mentioned that he might want to start knocking that down a bit. His response was most guys only want a six pack, but he's going for a kegger!
 
Steel true Blade straight- epitah of A.C. Doyle
The Owl Of Minerva Flies At Night.
Nullius in Verba.
Time is what a clock reads.
 
Bacle2 said:
" Parents work hard to give their children a better life than they had, only to then complain that
their children have it too easy." Unknown.

Amen to that.
 
Never let anyone watch your back,
They just might decide to stab it...
---I myself; in a really paranoid and sociopathic mood.
:screwy:
 
Last edited:
"I am a brain ,
Watson. The rest of me is a mere
appendix."
--S.H.
Hmmm... just noticed Hawking and Holmes have same initials...
 
"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
 
"It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment." - Gauss
 
I was amused when I read

"As we all know, physics is to a large extent described by a Taylor expansion to some low order, and cosmology is no exception."

This appears near the start of the chapter "Basics of cosmological perturbation theory" in the grad-level book "Dark Energy: Theory and Observations" by Amendola and Tsujikawa.
 
I never learned to drive. As a kid, I saw too many fatal accidents and I grew up hating the idea. Automobiles slaughter 40,000 people a year, maim a hundred thousand more, and bring out the worst in men. Any society where a natural man — the pedestrian — becomes the intruder, and an unnatural men encased in a steel shell becomes his molester, is a science fiction nightmare.

- Ray Bradbury
 
"How it is that anything so remarkable as a state of consciousness comes about as a result of irritating nervous tissue, is just as unaccountable as the appearance of Djin when Aladdin rubbed his lamp."
 
the world is faceing one of the biggest crisis in the history of history,
girls are getting hotter and hotter
-AXE