Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,745 replies · 392K views
nismaratwork said:
Ah, but Bohr was a good man, and Heisenberg became a Nazi... I'll stick with Bohr. :wink:

wow! i didn't knew that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Question everything!

There are no dumb questions, only bad answers.

- some manager
 
When a woman politician called Dirty Harry an a hole or something like that he replied "you tend to bring that out in a person." This almost always works for me. I use it a lot.
 
Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as war but as an act of self-defence against a homicidal maniac.

– George Orwell
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Blow the golden horn of destiny found in a cave guarded by a cyclops at the end of the world.
[8 char]
 
FtlIsAwesome said:
[8 char]

That's a nice quote :biggrin:

Edit: lol...
 
Ignorance is not bliss, eg.) science. ^^;

my Biology teacher told me this "Ever seen the word 'nowhere'? Ever turned it into the words
'now here?" ...for some reason I expect this to burst into flames... realllly... o_o,,
 
FizixFreak said:
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
Isaac Newton.

Probably the most beautiful quote by a physicist!

Interestingly, he made this comment as the postscript in a letter to a man he hated - Robert Hooke. Robert Hooke was practically deformed physically, having an ugly, dwarfish appearance.

The most humiliating insult is one that's obvious to everyone except its intended victim.
 
A friend was complaining about the time it takes for progress on various projects in his company.

When most people would get out a stop watch, we get out a calendar.

He asked if I knew how many people work at his company. Answer: About half of them.
 
"People living in the late Pleistocene weren't stupid. They spent an awful lot of time avoiding being eaten, and one of the ways to do that is to stay away from big bears." - anthropologist Erik Trinkaus :smile:

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Fate-of-the-Cave-Bear.html#ixzz1K6xEvwLH

It's smart not to be eaten. :biggrin:
 
"Say not, 'Why were the former days better than these?' For it is not from wisdom that you ask this." -- Ecclesiastes, 2000 years ago

2000 years ago, it was already cliche to talk about the "good old days".
 
Ivan Seeking said:
He asked if I knew how many people work at his company. Answer: About half of them.

Is it improper to "Roll on the floor laughing, peeing ones pants, and having a heart attack", in the favourite quotes section?
 
FtlIsAwesome said:
The first is fine, the third is lethal.

What's the second?
 
lisab said:
What's the second?

BananaGram Poetry!
 
lisab said:
What's the second?
OmCheeto said:
peeing ones pants ... in the favourite quotes section?
That will get you banned.
 
Kurdt's signature said:
I knew that! :rolleyes:
...
I did not know that. :rolleyes:
All scientific discussions can be summed up like this. :approve:
 
G01 - Now, as the air of General Discussion fills my lungs, I want to laugh at both the thread and myself.
 
"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself
I seem to have been only a boy playing on the seashore, and
diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a
prettier shell than ordinary, while the great ocean of truth lay
all undiscovered before me."
- Sir Isaac Newton
 
It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?

Ronald Reagan
 
I really like this one:

"Teach a man to reason, and he'll think for a lifetime." (as seen in Symphony of Science, said by Phil Plait)

Said in an anecdote by Richard Dawkins about a New Scientist Editor:

"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can f*** off."

Ricky Gervais:

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist? That was his first mistake.

George Best:

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered."
 
"Misericorde: A dagger which in medieval warfare was used by the foot soldier to remind an unhorsed knight that he was mortal." (Ambrose Bierce)
 
I'm completely in the dark and I like it that way. I'm used to it.
- a friend
 
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam." (Said by Cato The Elder after any speech, regardless of relevance to that speech)
 
Corrected.
Darken-Sol said:
i yam who i yam
 
Misericorde said:
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam." (Said by Cato The Elder after any speech, regardless of relevance to that speech)

For those who do not know Latin, the above says "furthermore, I think Carthage should be destroyed."
 
Char. Limit said:
For those who do not know Latin, the above says "furthermore, I think Carthage should be destroyed."

Oh, sorry about that, I forgot to include the translation. I witlessly posted an entire joke from other sites too, so maybe not an auspicious start here?

I do love the idea that the equivalent of a US senator or feudal lord could just say, "I think that place should be razed," after EVERY speech. I would have hated to be a Carthaginian at that time, I'll tell you!

Triple_D: I yam what I yam, "cause I eats my spinach" (Popeye)

"A hazug embert hamarabb utolérik, mint a sánta kutyát." "They catch up with a liar sooner than with a limping dog."
A Hungarian proverb.