Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,681
When you are in love, you meet with the universe' motion. For the morning breaths with love. The sun shines with love. The flower opens with love.. Congrats for the universal meeting!

- Mohammed Al Dehaim

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,682
"I'm going to hit you so hard that when you wake up, your clothes will be out of style"

Bit silly but makes me smile everytime!

• #1,683
Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.
― Arundhati Roy

• #1,684
Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength.

- jim hardy

• #1,685
Thanks Lisa! - but I should have credited Eric Hoffer... [sheepish grin icon]

• #1,686
Sharing favorite quotes, is an acknowledgment, that some people are much better at expressing what you've known for a long time, better than you can.

Thank you Lisa!, and jim hardy. :smile:

Last edited:
  • #1,687
One of my favorite , from Nietzsche:

"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

• #1,688
"People talk a lot and yet oft say naught."

• #1,689
reenmachine said:
One of my favorite , from Nietzsche:

"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Hmmm...seems I knew a paraphrased version of it:
Peer not into the darkness for it peers back into you.

• #1,690
Enigman said:
"People talk a lot and yet oft say naught."

Enigman said:
Hmmm...seems I knew a paraphrased version of it:
Peer not into the darkness for it peers back into you.

The original would have been in German leaving it to judgement and inspiration of translator understanding whole essay or book, what English wording best renders.

• #1,691
epenguin said:
The original would have been in German leaving it to judgement and inspiration of translator understanding whole essay or book, what English wording best renders.

The original book is available in both German and English at Gutenberg.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum
Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der
Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

My attempt at a translation of the first sentence:
"Who struggles with monsters, wishes, that they themselves do not become monsters".

I refuse to attempt a translation of his "Abgrund/Abyss" phrase, as it is not clear to me, as a non-Nietzschean, how it relates to the first sentence. Though, reading about him for the last two hours, it appears he didn't think highly of many people, if any at all, other than himself.

hmmm...

how about this:

"When you gaze long into the eyes of an idiot you are arguing with, they will gaze back". :tongue:

• #1,692
"Abgrund" (abyss) is used in the same way as in "Abgründe der Seele" ("abyss of your soul"?).

• #1,693
Though, reading about him for the last two hours, it appears he didn't think highly of many people, if any at all, other than himself.
Not to demean the man,,,,

You'd enjoy "My Sister and I" which his family still insists he did not write.
One liner that i remember best is to effect "No, i do not think i am God. That would be a demotion."

regardless who actually wrote it, it is rich in outrageous humor.

Last edited:
  • #1,694
OmCheeto said:
The original book is available in both German and English at Gutenberg.

Er, how can they both be "the original"?

• #1,695
OmCheeto said:
"When you gaze long into the eyes of an idiot you are arguing with, they will gaze back". :tongue:

Taxi Driver - Travis Bickle said:
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?

:biggrin:

Seriously, this was interesting.

Ich spreche nicht sehr gut German, ja, aber some words are very close to the Swedish-svenskö-mumbo-jumbo language like; Abgrund --> Avgrund etc.

The word monster is the same in German/English/Swedish, but Nietzsche uses the word Ungeheuer, which afaik is more like behemoth/beast/cryptid... (or 'the second beast' = false prophet = impostor?)

Here's my try:

"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehen, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."

"He who fights with beasts should make sure, that in the process, he becomes not a beast. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into thee."

Devils Epilog:

Thou who fight with German geniuses, make sure before wasting too much time, that the man whose work you've gazed too long into, is not gazing into thee with a megalomaniac nutcase stare.

360px-Friedrich_Nietzsche_drawn_by_Hans_Olde.jpg

History of Western Philosophy - Bertrand Russell said:
What are we to think of Nietzsche's doctrines? How far are they true? Are they in any degree useful? Is there in them anything objective, or are they the mere power-phantasies of an invalid?
[...]
Nevertheless there is a great deal in him that must be dismissed as merely megalomaniac.
[...]
It is obvious that in his day-dreams he is a warrior, not a professor; all the men he admires were military. His opinion of women, like every man's, is an objectification of his own emotion towards them, which is obviously one of fear.
[...]
It never occurred to Nietzsche that the lust for power, with which he endows his superman, is itself an outcome of fear. Those who do not fear their neighbours see no necessity to tyrannize over them. Men who have conquered fear have not the frantic quality of Nietzsche's 'artist-tyrant' Neros, who try to enjoy music and massacre while their hearts are filled with dread of the inevitable palace revolution. I will not deny that, partly as a result of his teaching, the real world has become very like his nightmare, but that does not make it any the less horrible.

Bertrand Russell was a cool dude. :approve:

• #1,696
DevilsAvocado said:
:biggrin:

Seriously, this was interesting.

Ich spreche nicht sehr gut German, ja, aber some words are very close to the Swedish-svenskö-mumbo-jumbo language like; Abgrund --> Avgrund etc.

The word monster is the same in German/English/Swedish, but Nietzsche uses the word Ungeheuer, which afaik is more like behemoth/beast/cryptid... (or 'the second beast' = false prophet = impostor?)

Here's my try:

"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehen, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."

"He who fights with beasts should make sure, that in the process, he becomes not a beast. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into thee."

Devils Epilog:

Thou who fight with German geniuses, make sure before wasting too much time, that the man whose work you've gazed too long into, is not gazing into thee with a megalomaniac nutcase stare.

360px-Friedrich_Nietzsche_drawn_by_Hans_Olde.jpg

Bertrand Russell was a cool dude. :approve:

We are one tonight. :smile:

Russell rules!

----------------------------
ps. I dreaded sharing this Nietzsche thread/thought with my Russian friend today.

But I did, and it turned out fine.

He basically said; "Nietzsche, liked to **** with peoples heads"

:redface:

• #1,697
One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny.
-Russell

• #1,698
OmCheeto said:
Russell rules!

Yup! :thumbs:

OmCheeto said:
He basically said; "Nietzsche, liked to **** with peoples heads"

Ваш товарищ прав.

Not only did he **** with people's heads, he also imploded his own... hmm, I wonder if there's some "Hillbilly logic" going on here... Nietzsche lived to be 55, Russell lived to 97...
"Evil kills you before you know it." ― Avocado on the run (in Mexico:D)​

• #1,699
"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt." ― Bertrand Russell

220px-1%2B1%3D2.png

"The above proposition is occasionally useful." ― Bertrand Russell

(... Bertrand walks the talk ... :D)

• #1,700
Reviewing his own book, A History of Western Philosophy

B. Russell said:
...to my mind, a man without bias cannot write interesting history — if, indeed, such a man exists.

There were some nasty reviews. The only names I recognized were Einstein's and Schrödinger's. They both gave it a thumbs up.

Never in my life would I have guessed that I would want to waste my time and money on a book about Philosophy. hmmm... As usual, Joni was right.

Joni Mitchell said:
But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day

• #1,701
DevilsAvocado said:
Yup! :thumbs:

Ваш товарищ прав.

Not only did he **** with people's heads, he also imploded his own... hmm, I wonder if there's some "Hillbilly logic" going on here... Nietzsche lived to be 55, Russell lived to 97...
"Evil kills you before you know it." ― Avocado on the run (in Mexico:D)​

I struggled with the translation this morning: "Ваш(you?) товарищ(speak -1sp говорить?) прав(truth)"

But of course, I plugged the words in, and found the meaning.

I made the mistake of bringing up the topic, again, today...

My Russian friend crushed me.

It made me smile.

• #1,702
OmCheeto said:
I struggled with the translation this morning:

I'm sorry Om... :blushing:

Apparently GoogleDOTcom has its own internal logic...

If you translate Ваш товарищ прав. with the dot, it works = "Your friend is right."

Remove the dot and things get hilarious = "Your fellow human"

How weird is that? :bugeye: Has Putin redefined the language, or is Google buggy? :biggrin:

• #1,703
Some of these are well-known (and have been posted here before), but taken together they are quite nice.

From CSM:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Maki.../11-quotes-from-difference-makers/Fred-Rogers

1. Fred Rogers
“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’”

2. Leonardo da Vinci
“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough, we must do.”

3. Anne Frank
“How wonderful that no one need wait a single moment to improve the world.”

4. Mother Teresa
“We can do no great things – only small things with great love.”

5. Margaret Mead
“Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have.”

6. Robert F. Kennedy
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.”

7. Mahatma Gandhi
“We must become the change we want to see in the world.”

8. Charles Dickens
“Come out into the world about you, be it either wide or limited. Sympathize, not in thought only, but in action, with all about you. Make yourself known and felt for something that would be loved and missed, in twenty thousand little ways, if you were to die; then your life will be a happy one, believe me.”

9. Ralph Waldo Emerson
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”

10. William James
“Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.”

11. Edward Everett Hale
“I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.”

• #1,704
DevilsAvocado said:
I'm sorry Om... :blushing:

Apparently GoogleDOTcom has its own internal logic...

If you translate Ваш товарищ прав. with the dot, it works = "Your friend is right."

Remove the dot and things get hilarious = "Your fellow human"

How weird is that? :bugeye: Has Putin redefined the language, or is Google buggy? :biggrin:
Graaaah, stop using google translator :s That's not how you say it :(
Tovarish means "young man" - between pals it's like "comrade".
The Russian language works fine, those online translators are idiots unfortunately :(When you blame others, you give up your power to change.
Robert Anthony

Last edited:
  • #1,705
lendav_rott said:
Graaaah, stop using google translator :s That's not how you say it :(
Tovarish means "young man" - between pals it's like "comrade".
The Russian language works fine, those online translators are idiots unfortunately :(

When you blame others, you give up your power to change.
Robert Anthony

pfft! It's been 30 years since I've studied Russian at university. And I don't have time to re-learn it. I'm old and have more important things to do.

I should though have remembered that "Ваш" meant "your" vs "you", as the entire class found it very amusing that saying "your car" in Russian sounded very much like "wash machine" in English.
"ваш машина" is roughly pronounced "vawsh masheena"

:tongue:

Aside from my Om-Ma-Ni-Padme-Hum prayer banner, the following is the only other written saying, framed on my living room wall, in old gothic script.

Rutger Hauer said:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched c-beams glitter in the dark
near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time
like tears in rain.​

It reminded me a bit of my life, compared to most people I knew. And being quite young when I printed it up, I intentionally left off the last line.

-------------------------------
ps. I'm kind of glad I missed the opportunity to get tickets for Burning Man this year. I had this How you will get hurt at Burning Man infographic up at work on one of my PC's as the background. I may have a lust for life, but not really a death wish.

• #1,706
OmCheeto said:
ps. I'm kind of glad I missed the opportunity to get tickets for Burning Man this year. I had this How you will get hurt at Burning Man infographic up at work on one of my PC's as the background. I may have a lust for life, but not really a death wish.

:eek:

Toto, we aren't [STRIKE]in Kansas[/STRIKE] at OCF anymore!

• #1,707
If I ever start going blind, I'm not going to tell the government. I'll feel even more badass being illegally blind.

- From elsewhere on the inner webs.

• #1,708
"There are two kinds of people in the world: those who divide the world into two kinds of people, and those who don't" – Robert Benchley

• #1,709
"If you ever find yourself looking at the second significant digit of the tensile strength... You've already made a mistake"

Likes CalcNerd
  • #1,710
Games are won by players who focus on the playing field – not by those whose eyes are glued to the scoreboard. If you can enjoy Saturdays and Sundays without looking at stock prices, give it a try on weekdays. - Warren Buffett

• #1,711
The wolf will always be the bad if we always listen to the Little Red Riding Hood.
I have no idea who said that so no credits. Google throws nothing either. I suppose it was written in another language and translated.

• #1,712
Good heart is as pristine as the saintly spot like sacristy.

--By me...

• #1,713
Gaussian threw this jewel up -

EVANS BOLDLY PUT 50 ATM. OF ETHYLENE IN A CELL WITH 25 ATM. OF OXYGEN.
THE APPARATUS SUBSEQUENTLY BLEW UP, BUT LUCKILY NOT BEFORE HE
OBTAINED THE SPECTRA SHOWN IN FIGURE 8.

A.J.MERER AND R.S.MULLIKEN, CHEM.REV. 69, 645 (1969)

• #1,714
Where the H E double toothpicks have you been?

Likes 1 person
  • #1,715
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."