Finding speed of light in a material from critical angle of 32.4°

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jaron
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


the critical angle for a ray of light leaving an unknown material (surrounded by air) is
32.4'(degrees celsius). the speed of light in the material is:


Homework Equations


niSin(theda)c = nRSin(theda)R
(i am not sure how to make theda symbols on the computer)


The Attempt at a Solution


niSin32'/Sin32' = 1Sin90'/Sin32'
ni = 1/0.53
ni = 1.89x10^8 m/s
that's the answer that makes the most sense to me. but the back of my book has a different answer:
1.61x10^8 m/s (i have no idea how they got this)

i have a test on this stuff tomorrow
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can find the refractive index with respect to air given the critical angle..

What are the ratios you can use to find the refractive index?
 
hmm ni =/= 1.89*10^8 ... I guessing that's just a typo.

1/0.53... is right. I'm not sure how you got your answer but I got 1.61*10^8.

n=c/v

It might just be a math error.