Finding spring constant, damping constant and Q for suspension of a car

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 22K views
FortisInArdui
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The suspension of a car (mass= 2000kg) sags a distance of 10cm when the weight of the entire car is placed on it. Also, the amplitude of its oscillations decrease by a factor of 50% over 3 complete oscillations.
a) Find the spring constant(k)
b) Find the damping constant(b)
c) Find the Q for the shock absorber system of one wheel assuming eah wheel supports a quarter of the weight of the car.

I can do parts a and b but I don't know how to do part c

Homework Equations



F=kx

damping ratio=b/(2*sqrt(m*k)

A=A0/(sqrt((1-r2)2+r2/Q2)

Q = w0*m/b

w0=sqrt(k/m)
w=w0*sqrt(1-(b/(2M))2) where w is the frequeny of oscillation

The Attempt at a Solution



a) F=kx
(2000kg)*(9.81m/s2)/(0.10m) =k
k=1.96*105

b)
damping ratio = b/(2*sqrt(m*k))
0.5 = b/(2*sqrt(2000kg*1.965)
b= 1.98*104

c)
I thought that since 1. w0=sqrt(k/m ) and 2. Q= w0*/b that the first equation can be substituted into the second equation to get 3. Q=sqrt(k/m)*m/b.
I didn't get the right answer using equation 3 so I'm wondering if I used the wrong formulas.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:smile:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org