Finding square root of number i.e. ##\sqrt{\dfrac{16}{64}}##

In summary, students often make the mistake of simplifying fractions within a square root before applying the square root operation. This leads to incorrect answers, as the fractions should not be simplified until after the square root is applied. It is important to emphasize this order of operations when teaching square roots.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
I am finding a common mistake made by my students on finding square roots of numbers like;

Find ##\sqrt{\dfrac{16}{64}}##
Relevant Equations
square roots.
The correct answer is; ##\sqrt{\dfrac{16}{64}}=\dfrac{4}{8}## .

I do not seem to understand why some go ahead to simplify ##\dfrac{4}{8}## and getting ##\dfrac{1}{2}## which is clearly wrong. I do not know if any of you are experiencing this... I guess more emphasis on my part. Cheers!

Your insight is welcome guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is going to kill you: If you creatively cancel the 6 on the numerator with the 6 in the denominator, you will get the right answer somehow.
Edit: Still, why do you believe 1/2 is wrong, given it's equal to 4/8?
Simplify inside the root, and you will see how to obtain 1/2. 16 in the numerator vs 16(4) on the denominator.

Likes chwala and PeroK
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: I am finding a common mistake made by my students on finding square roots of numbers like;

Relevant Equations:: square roots.

I do not seem to understand why some go ahead to simplify ##\dfrac{4}{8}## and getting ##\dfrac{1}{2}## which is clearly wrong. I do not know if any of you are experiencing this... I guess more emphasis on my part. Cheers!

Surely ##\dfrac 4 8 = \dfrac 1 2##?

Likes chwala
PeroK said:
That is where i have a problem with; my understanding is that we should be able to move from squares to square root in both ways i.e

##\sqrt {a^2}=a ## such that ##a× a=a^2##
For eg.

##\sqrt{\dfrac{16}{64}}=\sqrt{\dfrac{4^2}{8^2}}=\dfrac{4}{8}##

##\dfrac{1}{2} ×\dfrac{1}{2} ≠\dfrac{16}{64} ##

PeroK said:
This is where i need clarity...yes the two are equivalent but not in the context of the problem. I stand guided sir.

chwala said:
That is where i have a problem with; my understanding is that we should be able to move from squares to square root in both ways i.e

##\sqrt {a^2}=a ## such that ##a× a=a^2##
For eg.

##\sqrt{\dfrac{16}{64}}=\sqrt{\dfrac{4^2}{8^2}}=\dfrac{4}{8}##
Why do you think ##\dfrac 4 8 \ne \dfrac 1 2##?

PeroK said:
Why do you think ##\dfrac 4 8 \ne \dfrac 1 2##?

chwala said:
Nonsense!

PeroK said:
Nonsense!
I see we can simplify ##\dfrac{16}{64}=\dfrac{1}{4}=\dfrac{1}{2} × \dfrac{1}{2}##

...yes, i have been wrong on this... if the numbers are rational and simplifiable then we can simplify first before applying square roots.

My understanding has always been;

##\sqrt{\dfrac{a}{b}}=\dfrac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}## ... by considering ##a## and ##b## as independent numbers ...totally missed out on the simplification bit.

Last edited:
##\sqrt{a^2} = |a|## and ##\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}} = \frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}## is valid for nonnegative numbers.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
I see we can simplify ##\dfrac{16}{64}=\dfrac{1}{4}=\dfrac{1}{2} × \dfrac{1}{2}##

...yes, i have been wrong on this... if the numbers are rational and simplifiable then we can simplify first before applying square roots.

My understanding has always been;

##\sqrt{\dfrac{a}{b}}=\dfrac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}## ... by considering ##a## and ##b## as independent numbers ...totally missed out on the simplification bit.
Lastly on this, is there a limit (rule) to the point at which one can simplify when finding square roots? you realize like in the current example;
##\dfrac{1}{2}## can also be written as ## \dfrac{0.5}{1}=\dfrac{0.25}{0.5}## and so on...

What about simplifying upwards I.e

##\dfrac{1}{2}=\dfrac{1000}{2000}=\dfrac{10000}{20000}## ...

would all this be mathematically correct?

Last edited:
chwala said:
Lastly on this, is there a limit (rule) to the point at which one can simplify when finding square roots? you realize like in the current example;
##\dfrac{1}{2}## can also be written as ## \dfrac{0.5}{1}=\dfrac{0.25}{0.5}## and so on...

What about simplifying upwards I.e

Yes. Ultimately,
## \frac {a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}## iff ## ad=bc##

Likes PeroK and chwala
chwala said:
The correct answer is;
##\sqrt{\dfrac{16}{64}}=\dfrac{4}{8}## .

I do not seem to understand why some go ahead to simplify ##\dfrac{4}{8}## and getting ##\dfrac{1}{2}## which is clearly wrong.
This has already been responded to by several other members, but it bears repeating, for emphasis.
The above is correct, despite your assertion that it is "clearly wrong."

##\frac 4 8 = \frac {4 \cdot 1}{4 \cdot 2} = \frac 4 4 \cdot \frac 1 2 = \frac 1 2##.

The only difference between ##\frac 4 8## and ##\frac 1 2## is that the latter is simplified as much as possible.

Another take is that ##\sqrt{\frac{16}{64}} = \sqrt{\frac 1 4} = \frac 1 2##.

BTW, @chwala, I'm very surprised that you're having problems with something so elementary, given that you have posted questions about calculus and differential equations (both ODE and PDE) and statistics.

Likes chwala
chwala said:

Yes, ##x\cdot 1 = x## for every ##x##. In particular, ## \frac{a}{b} = \frac{a}{b} \cdot \frac{c}{c} ##.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
This has already been responded to by several other members, but it bears repeating, for emphasis.
The above is correct, despite your assertion that it is "clearly wrong."

##\frac 4 8 = \frac {4 \cdot 1}{4 \cdot 2} = \frac 4 4 \cdot \frac 1 2 = \frac 1 2##.

The only difference between ##\frac 4 8## and ##\frac 1 2## is that the latter is simplified as much as possible.

Another take is that ##\sqrt{\frac{16}{64}} = \sqrt{\frac 1 4} = \frac 1 2##.

BTW, @chwala, I'm very surprised that you're having problems with something so elementary, given that you have posted questions about calculus and differential equations (both ODE and PDE) and statistics.
...at times I make mistakes, just being human :biggrin::cool:...then I learn from my mistakes...and become better...

of course it's pretty obvious that ##\dfrac {1}{2}=\dfrac{4}{8}##...my way of thought was off! but hey, it happens to all of us! Cheers @Mark44 and all other great PF family members for their time and insights...just to mention a few; @PeroK ,@Office_Shredder ,@BvU ,@fresh_42 ,@WWGD ,@pbuk,@pasmith, @DaveE ,@anuttarasammyak @SammyS @nuuskur among others...cheers!

Last edited:
Likes Math100 and WWGD
WWGD said:
Yes. Ultimately,
## \frac {a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}## iff ## ad=bc##
This implies that there is no restriction to the form of solution that a student may use...as long as the fractions are equivalent...but more generally, simplifying downwards would be the ideal norm.

chwala said:
This implies that there is no restriction to the form of solution that a student may use...as long as the fractions are equivalent...but more generally, simplifying downwards would be the ideal norm.
Yes, correct. A mathematical expression may take many equivalent forms. Not always clear when/if two such forms are equivalent.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: I am finding a common mistake made by my students on finding square roots of numbers like;

Relevant Equations:: square roots.

The answer is ## 0.5 ## if you enter ## \sqrt{\dfrac{16}{64}} ## into any online calculator. So I wouldn't say ## \frac{1}{2} ## is wrong. And ## \frac{4}{8}=\frac{1}{2} ##. It's the same thing.

Likes chwala

1. What is the process for finding the square root of a number?

The process for finding the square root of a number involves taking the number and finding another number that, when multiplied by itself, equals the original number. This is represented by the mathematical symbol "√". For example, the square root of 16 is 4 because 4 x 4 = 16.

2. How do you find the square root of a fraction?

To find the square root of a fraction, first simplify the fraction if possible. Then, take the square root of the numerator and the square root of the denominator separately. Finally, simplify the resulting fraction if necessary. For example, to find the square root of 16/64, we would first simplify to 1/4. Then, √1 = 1 and √4 = 2, so the final answer is 1/2.

3. Can the square root of a negative number be found?

No, the square root of a negative number cannot be found. This is because when multiplying two negative numbers, the result is always a positive number. Therefore, there is no number that, when multiplied by itself, would result in a negative number.

4. Is there a shortcut or formula for finding square roots?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the square root of a number. It is called the "square root algorithm" and involves breaking the number into smaller parts and using a series of steps to find the square root. However, this method can be time-consuming and is usually only used for larger numbers. For simpler numbers, it is easier to use a calculator or estimate the square root.

5. Can the square root of a number be a decimal?

Yes, the square root of a number can be a decimal. In fact, most square roots of numbers are decimals. For example, the square root of 2 is approximately 1.414. This is because when multiplied by itself, the decimal number will result in the original number. In some cases, the decimal can go on infinitely, but it can also be rounded to a certain number of decimal places depending on the desired level of accuracy.