1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Tension of a string tied to a wall

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    In the figure we see two blocks connected by a string and tied to a wall, with θ = 33°. The mass of the lower block is m = 0.9 kg; the mass of the upper block is 4.0 kg. Find the tension in the string that is tied to the wall.
    -I have the forces of Block A as Tension, Normal Force, and Gravity (mg). From my calculations I have that Tension equals 0 (which I don't think is correct) and the Normal Force being equal to 39.2.
    - For Block B I have the forces as Tension and Gravity, which gives me the Tension being equal to 8.82
    - Finally,I separated the tension of the rope on the wall to the x and y components with X: Tcos33 and Y: Tsin33
    - We can assume this is all in static equilibrium. Any advice on mistakes or how to proceed with this problem is much appreciated!

4-23.gif

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Look at the just the rope join.

There are three forces acting, lets call them TA to the left, TB downward, and TW to the right, Θ degrees above horizontal.

Using ∑Fx = ∑Fy = 0 you can find TW from theta and T B using trig, you don't need to know anything about TA.

4. Sep 22, 2015 #3
    Thank you for the reply. So you're saying that I can't calculate TB By equating the Weight of the block to it?

5. Sep 22, 2015 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

If it's in static equilibrium then the weight of block A has no effect on TA and is only given to confuse or challenge you, or maybe it's required for a later question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted