Finding the angle in a Uniform Circular Motion problem?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the angle of a simple pendulum given its mass, length, and velocity. It is unclear what the exact problem statement is, but the conversation suggests that the angle may be a function of time and that there are multiple methods that can be used to find the expression for theta vs. time. It is also mentioned that if the given velocity is the maximum velocity, the angle can be calculated.
daniiela
1. Alright say you have a simple pendulum with given mass, length, and velocity (I think.. correct me if I'm wrong) ... how would I go about calculating theta (in degrees)?

2. I'm assuming the quadratic eq will have to be used? Among a couple of the simple force formulas.

3. I just took a test with this on it and I was prepared to calculate the velocity with a given angle. Boy was I surprised to see no angle and one of the first questions was to calculate it.

Dieing to figure it out.. I obviously can't go back and fix what I did on the test but atleast I can feel confident knowing if I ever see this problem or something similar to it I will know what to do. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

Hmm. So I guess you cannot give us the exact problem statement because you do not have it in front of you. That's really too bad because it's not totally clear what the question is asking. I mean the pendulum is swinging, right? So the angle of the pendulum changes depending upon when you look. We say that theta is a function of time. I know a method that can be used to figure out the expression for theta vs. time, but I suspect that is a bit advanced for the level at which you are studying physics.

If the question is, at what angle was the pendulum released, then I think you can figure that out provided that the velocity you have been given is the maximum velocity. Is that what is going on here?

1. What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is always moving at the same speed, but its direction constantly changes as it moves along the circular path.

2. What is the angle in a Uniform Circular Motion problem?

The angle in a Uniform Circular Motion problem refers to the angle between the radius of the circle and the position of the object at a specific point in time. It is measured in radians or degrees and is used to calculate the object's angular velocity and acceleration.

3. How do you find the angle in a Uniform Circular Motion problem?

To find the angle in a Uniform Circular Motion problem, you can use the formula θ = s/r, where θ is the angle, s is the distance traveled along the circular path, and r is the radius of the circle. Alternatively, you can also use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the angle.

4. Why is it important to find the angle in a Uniform Circular Motion problem?

Finding the angle in a Uniform Circular Motion problem is important because it helps us understand the object's motion and calculate its angular velocity and acceleration. It also allows us to determine the position of the object at any given time along the circular path.

5. Can the angle in a Uniform Circular Motion problem change?

Yes, the angle in a Uniform Circular Motion problem can change as the object moves along the circular path. This is because the direction of the object's motion is constantly changing, which affects the angle between the radius and the object's position. However, the object's speed remains constant, so the angle changes at a constant rate.