Magnitudes and Directions In Uniform Circular Motion

In summary: What is that?In summary, a biker starts 40.0m east of a flag in a park and travels south at 10m/s for 30.0 seconds. After that, the biker is 40.0m north of the flag and heading east at 10.0m/s. For this 30.0s interval, the magnitude of the displacement is 50.0m and the direction is 45 degrees east of south. The average velocity is 10m/s and the direction changes every second. The average acceleration is 0m/s^2 and is always directed towards the center.
Rodriesk

Homework Statement

A biker is 40.0m to the east of a flag in a park, heading south at 10m/s. 30.0 seconds later, the biker is 40.0m north of the flag and heading east at 10.0m/s. For the biker in this 30.0s interval, what are:
a) the magnitude and direction of the displacement?
b) the magnitude and direction of the velocity?
c) the magnitude and direction of the acceleration?

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

The image attached shows how I've set up the problem. For a), my first thought was to multiply time and velocity to solve for distance (magnitude). For the direction, I thought about the triangle P1 and P2 form, and solved for the angle that the line joining those two points forms with the x-axis. My attempt at solving for magnitude makes sense to me, but I'm not sure about the answer for the direction.

For b), I already have the velocity, which is 10m/s, and I believe that would be the magnitude, however I'm unsure about the direction. The direction changes every second, and so does the velocity, so I think there would be multiple answers for the direction depending on the time we're taking into account.

For c), I think it's the easiest part, since I have the velocity and radius, I can use a = v^2 / r to solve for the acceleration magnitude, and if I understand the concept of circular motion, the direction of the acceleration is always headed toward the center. I'm confident about this one.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Rodriesk said:
multiply time and velocity to solve for distance (magnitude)
Distance travelled, ∫|v|.dt, is not the same as the magnitude of the displacement, |∫v.dt|.
Rodriesk said:
For the direction, I thought about the triangle P1 and P2 form, and solved for the angle that the line joining those two points forms with the x-axis.
Yes.
Rodriesk said:
the magnitude and direction of the velocity?
The velocity is not constant. We are not even told whether the magnitude of the velocity is constant. So I suggest the question is asking about the average velocity. How is that defined?
Rodriesk said:
the magnitude and direction of the acceleration?
Again, acceleration is not constant, and might not be constant in magnitude, so I would interpret this as the average acceleration.

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and in the same direction throughout its entire circular path.

2. What are the magnitudes and directions involved in uniform circular motion?

The magnitude in uniform circular motion refers to the size or quantity of the speed of the object, while the direction refers to the path that the object follows in a circular motion.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of uniform circular motion?

The magnitude of uniform circular motion can be calculated by taking the circumference of the circle and dividing it by the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution. This is also known as the tangential speed or linear speed.

4. What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity.

5. How is the direction of the centripetal force determined in uniform circular motion?

The direction of the centripetal force is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object and points towards the center of the circle. This means that the centripetal force is constantly changing in direction as the object moves in a circular path.