1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Angle in Projectile Motion

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I am attempting to derive an equation for some pretty specific needs. The equation I need is one that solves for the angle needed to launch a projectile at a given velocity to an object at a given distance and height different from launcher. The catch is that I would like to include the acceleration due to air resistance (which I can find later and input) as an acceleration in the x direction.

The goal is to solve for theta (I will use an o)

2. Relevant equations

The only variables that can be present in the equation are:
    ax, ay (gravity), x, y, v (velocity launched at, actually, it is the speed, I don't know the angle)

The equations I have been attempting to use are:

y = vy*t + (g/2)*t^2
    x = vx*t + (a/2)*t^2
    v = sqrt(vx^2 + vy^2)
    sin o = vy/v
    cos o = vx/v

3. The attempt at a solution

I keep trying to derive but keep ending up circling (deriving until I accidentally reach a variable I tried to get rid of earlier). Does anyone have an equation already derived they could show me that they could also explain how they derived, or know how I could go about deriving my goal equation successfully? Or any other formulae I should be using?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Robotics 1764! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(air resistance would never be like that, but anyway …)

Hint: since you have constant acceleration in both the x and y directions, try combining them (accelerations obey the vector law of addition, of course) into a single acceleration, and then use coordinates parallel and perpendicular to that direction. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?