1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the centroid of a cardiod curve.

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cardioid or heart shaped curve is given in plane polar coordinates [itex]\rho[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex] by the parametrisation [itex]\rho[/itex]=1-cos[itex]\phi[/itex] or equivilantly
    [itex]\rho[/itex]=2sin[itex]^{2} (\frac{ϕ}{2})[/itex] for [itex]0\leq\phi[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex]2[itex]\pi[/itex]

A shape resembling an apple is generated by revolving the upper (+y) half of the cardioid curve about the x axis. Show using an integral of functions of [itex]\frac{ϕ}{2}[/itex], that the upper half of the cardioid curve lies at [itex]\bar{y}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4}{5}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\bar{y}[/itex]=[itex]\int[/itex]ydA[itex]\div[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]dA

3. The attempt at a solution

Sorry about my awful latex usage, I have never used this stuff before! Basically I try the above integral. I found the area of the whole shape (above and below x axis) in a previous part as [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex] by integrating the limits 0[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex]2[itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] between 0 and 2sin[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{ϕ}{2}[/itex] which I know is right.

For the top part of the integral I am trying it with y=[itex]\rho[/itex]sin[itex]\phi[/itex] with [itex]\phi[/itex] between 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] between 0 and 2sin[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{ϕ}{2}[/itex] but it does not work as the extra [itex]sin\phi[/itex] means it is impossible to have a [itex]\pi[/itex] in the integral solution so the final answer for [itex]\bar{y}[/itex] will always be over [itex]\pi[/itex] . I think I am setting up the ydA integral wrong but am not sure how. Any guidance wouild be much appreciated, cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2
    For greater clarity I have attached the question ( part b i), I have already done a) and my attempt at a solution. I just think perhaps I am setting up the integral wrong, any hints to get me on the right track would be appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're misinterpreting the problem. It's asking for the centroid of the curve, not the surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook