Finding the Centroid of a Parabola: Calculating Coordinates for y = 10m

  • Thread starter Thread starter khutch2212
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Centroid Parabola
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
khutch2212
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
The equation y = x2 describes a parabola. Find the x and y coordinates of the centroid of the area bounded by this curve, and the line y = 10m
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to intergrate from -3.16 to 3.16, b/c if you draw a perpinduclar line down from y=10 it intersects the x-axis at those two values. I integrate the given equation y=x^2, but the number I got was 21, so i do not know if it is correct.
 
I think this problem is asking you to determine the centroid of the area below y = 10 m and above y = x^2. Can you calculate the area of the enclosed parabola?