1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the centroid of the region

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    Hi

VVVVVV

Find the centroid of the region bounded by the curves y = 2x - 4 , y = 2 Sqr x, and x = 1. Make a sketch of the region.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2

rollingstein

Gold Member

Make an attempt?

4. Feb 1, 2013 #3
    I did not try ..because I am not familiar with the way of solving

5. Feb 1, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you at least manage to sketch the region? You have three lines. Find out where they meet.

6. Feb 1, 2013 #5
    yeah I did sketched the three curves then ?..

7. Feb 1, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So where do they intersect? What formula do you know for finding a coordinate of a centroid?

8. Feb 1, 2013 #7
    they intersect between 1 and ( a unknown point intersection between 2 Sqrt x and x = 1 )

9. Feb 1, 2013 #8
    also, there is a triangle region under x-axis between 1 and 2 but I think it is not included in the intersection

10. Feb 1, 2013 #9
    how can I know the second point of the limit integration ?!

11. Feb 1, 2013 #10
    I got the answer :D >>

thank u : )

12. Feb 1, 2013 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am puzzled by this. Why in the world would you be given a homework problem like this if you had never been given instruction in these and your text book has nothing on it? You are taking Calculus are you not? And every text I have seen has the formulas for "centroid". You also seem to be saying that you cannot solve a simple quadratic equation.

In any case, The line x= 1 intersects [itex]y= 2\sqrt{x}[/itex] at (1, 2) and the line y= 2x- 4 at (1, -2) and forms the left boundary. The line y= 2x- 4 and [itex]y= 2\sqrt{x}[/itex] intersect when [itex]y= 2x- 4= 2\sqrt{x}[/itex]. Divide by 2 to get [itex]x- 2= \sqrt{x}[/itex] and square both sides: [itex](x- 2)^2= x^2- 4x+ 4= x[/itex] or [itex]x^2- 5x+ 4= 0[/itex]. That factors easily: (x- 4)(x- 1)= 0. Either x= 1 or x= 4. The point (1, -4) is an "extraneous" root- it is not on [itex]y= 2\sqrt{x}[/itex]. So the last vertex, the intersection between [itex]y= 2\sqrt{x}[/itex] and y= 2x- 4, is at (4, 4).

The area of that region is given by the single integral
    [tex]\int_1^4 2\sqrt{x}- (2x- 4)dx[/tex]
    which could also be done by the double integral
    [tex]\int_1^4\int_{2x- 4}^{2\sqrt{x}} dydx[/tex].

I give that double integral (which easily integrates with respect to y to give the first integral) because it is needed for the centroid.

The x coordinate of the centroid is given by the integral of x over that region
    [tex]\int_1^4\int_{2x-4}^{2\sqrt{x}} x dydx= \int_1^4 x(2\sqrt{x}- (2x-4))dx[/tex]
    divided by the area and

the y coordinate of the centroid is given by the integral of y over that region
    [tex]\int_1^4\int_{2x-4}^{2\sqrt{x}} y dy dx[/tex]
    divided by the area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook