Finding the components of this velocity vector

In summary, the problem is asking to determine the x- and y-components of a velocity vector with a magnitude of 100.0 m/s and an angle of 160° with the positive x-axis. The correct sketch for this would be on the second quadrant. The confusion may have arisen from the use of "positive x-axis" in the problem. The angle should be measured counterclockwise from the horizontal x-axis, making the x-coordinate negative. The correct equations to use are ##\sin(\pi-x)=\sin x## and ##\cos(\pi-x)=-\cos x##.
PleaseAnswerOnegai
Homework Statement
A velocity vector has magnitude 100.0 m/s and make an angle of 160° with the positive x-axis. Determine the x- and y-components of the vector.
Relevant Equations
Trig functions
physics_question.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
PleaseAnswerOnegai said:
Homework Statement:: A velocity vector has magnitude 100.0 m/s and make an angle of 160° with the positive x-axis. Determine the x- and y-components of the vector.
Relevant Equations:: Trig functions

View attachment 269386
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

That sketch looks wrong. What line is 180 degrees from the x-axis? So 160 degrees would be pretty close to that line, not vertical like that...

Just started Physics and I wasn't sure if my answer and solution was right. I attempted to project it on the cartesian plane based on my understanding. It said "an angle of 160 with the positive x-axis." What I understood from this is that angles of the triangle that makes contact to the x-axis equal to 160 so I assumed the angles would be 70 and 90.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

That sketch looks wrong. What line is 180 degrees from the x-axis? So 160 degrees would be pretty close to that line, not vertical like that...
Hi! What would the correct sketch look like? While I was sketching it I knew something was fishy and I just had to ask hahaha

PleaseAnswerOnegai said:
Just started Physics and I wasn't sure if my answer and solution was right. I attempted to project it on the cartesian plane based on my understanding. It said "an angle of 160 with the positive x-axis." What I understood from this is that angles of the triangle that makes contact to the x-axis equal to 160 so I assumed the angles would be 70 and 90.
No, usually the angle is measured counterclockwise from the horizontal x-axis. So an angle of 90 degrees is straight up (along the y-axis), and an angle of 180 degrees is pointing left along the -x-axis. So where would 160 degrees counterclockwise from the x-axis be? And what would the x- and y- components of that vector be then?

Likes Physics4Funn
berkeman said:
So it would then be on the 2nd Quadrant, correct? What confused me was the usage of "positive x-axis" so I wrongfully assumed that it would be strictly in the 1st Quadrant (where x values are positive). I will solve it and send my answer! :)

PleaseAnswerOnegai said:
So it would then be on the 2nd Quadrant, correct? What confused me was the usage of "positive x-axis" so I wrongfully assumed that it would be strictly in the 1st Quadrant (where x values are positive). I will solve it and send my answer! :)
physics_question.JPG

Is the angle ##20°## or ##160°##? Is the x-coordinate positive or negative?

PleaseAnswerOnegai said:
It's true that ##\sin(\pi-x)=\sin x##, but ##\cos(\pi-x)=-\cos x##, not ##\cos x##.

1. What is a velocity vector?

A velocity vector is a mathematical representation of an object's speed and direction of motion. It includes both magnitude (speed) and direction, and is typically represented graphically as an arrow.

2. How do you find the components of a velocity vector?

To find the components of a velocity vector, you will need to know the magnitude (speed) of the vector and the angle at which it is pointing. You can then use trigonometric functions to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the vector.

3. Why is it important to find the components of a velocity vector?

Finding the components of a velocity vector allows you to break down the overall motion of an object into its individual horizontal and vertical components. This can be useful in analyzing and predicting the motion of objects in different directions.

4. What are some real-world applications of finding the components of a velocity vector?

Finding the components of a velocity vector is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used in projectile motion calculations, aircraft and spacecraft design, and determining the trajectory of objects in motion.

5. Are there any tools or formulas that can help with finding the components of a velocity vector?

Yes, there are several tools and formulas that can assist in finding the components of a velocity vector. These include trigonometric functions, vector addition and subtraction, and the Pythagorean theorem. There are also many online calculators and software programs available for calculating and graphing velocity vectors.