1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the current for each time interval (Electric circuits)

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem and its solution are attached as TheProblemAndSolution.jpg.

2. Relevant equation
    ν = L di/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand how the solution gets i = 10.0 A for t = 2 ms as well as to how it gets i = 30 – (10 * 10^3) t) (A) for 2 ms < t < 4 ms. More specifically, I see that the equation when 0 < t < 2 ms has i = 10.0 A if one plugs in 2 ms in the t variable like so, 5 * 10^3 (2 * 10^(-3) s) = 10.0 A. However, what I do not get is, why does the equation for the interval (0, 2) work for the point t = 2 ms (does the reasoning relate to the fact that 1.9999 (periodic 9) can be proved to equal 2? As to when 2 < t < 4, something seems off with the first equality but I cannot figure out exactly what. Just to note, I don't see anything wrong with Fig. 2-12 and the way it relates to the equations in the work so I don't think anything is wrong but, to reiterate, I don't get why i = 10.0 A at t = 2 ms and I'm confused as to how to get the equation for when 2 ms < t < 4 ms because the first equality is messed up which throws me off for the rest of the work.

Any help in understanding these things would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the right idea about the current at t = 2 ms. The current will be a continuous function of time, so the value at t = 2 ms is the limit of the expression for the first time interval as t approaches 2 ms.

There is a typo in the first line of the expression for i in the second time interval. It should read something like i = 10 + ∫vdt = 10 + (1/.003) ∫-30dt . The second and third lines look ok.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3

s3a

I'm still having doubts as to whether (t = 2 ms, i = 10.0 A) should be an included point or not.

Is it correct to say that it is BECAUSE equating the 0 < t < 2 ms and 2 ms < t < 4 ms equations as follows will yield an input t such that each equation's output is i = 10.0 A?:

5 * 10^3 t = 30 - 10 * 10^3 t
    15 * 10^3 t = 30
    t = 30/(15*10^3) [Plugging this value in either equation yields i = 10.0 A.]

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think of it this way. For a circuit that has inductance, the current cannot change discontinuously even when the voltage changes discontinuously. [To change the current discontinuously would require a "dirac-delta" type of impulsive voltage which is rather fictitious and is not what you are dealing with here.] So, the current will be a continuous function of time. So, the current at t = 2 ms must be the limit as t approaches 2 ms in the interval 0 < t < 2 ms.

From calculus, we know that if you take the integral from 0 to t of a function with a finite discontinuity, then the integral will be a continuous function of t. Here, the current at any time t is the integral of V from 0 to t. Even though V is discontinuous at t = 2 ms, the current will be continuous at t = 2 ms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook