1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the direction and velocity of wind using vectors question

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A person, travelling eastward at a rate of 4.0 km/hr, observes that the wind seems to blow directly from the north; on doubling his speed the wind appears to come from the northeast; determine the direction of the wind and its velocity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My teacher has actually given us the answers on this question. However, I am stuck at the point where she says the
    Velocity of wind relative to person = Velocity of wind relative to the ground - velocity of person relative to the ground.

I just can't understand this at all! Please help!
    Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi shy9488! welcome to pf! :smile:
    it means that if you draw the three vectors (with arrows), then they join up to form a vector triangle

(and when the question says "observes that the wind seems to blow directly from the north", it means that the velocity of the wind relative to the person is north)

see the pf library, or wikipedia, for details :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted