1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the domain and range without a calculator

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the domain and range of the following function without the use of a calculator:

f(x) = sec (pi x/4)

2. Relevant equations

As far as I know, this problem doesn't specifically require "equations". Therefore I am leaving this section blank. Not because I am a malicious poster that is trying to break the rules and upset the administration here, but simply because I don't know any equations for this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried flipping this and finding the cosine of 4pi and graphing it. But I failed to come up with a valid graph and was puzzled. I could take a picture of my "graph", but I don't think anyone could read it. Help would be greatly appreciated here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2
    For what values of x, sec(x) is not defined?

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"I tried flipping this and finding the cosine of 4pi ..."

That won't work.

sec(θ) = 1/(cos(θ)). It's not equal to cos(1/θ), nor 1/(cos(1/θ)).

Consider the graph of [itex]\displaystyle y=\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}x\right)\ .[/itex]

Where does this graph have zeros?

What are the maximum & minimum values for y on this graph?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook