• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding the domain and range without a calculator

• Thread starter Burjam
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find the domain and range of the following function without the use of a calculator:

f(x) = sec (pi x/4)

Homework Equations

As far as I know, this problem doesn't specifically require "equations". Therefore I am leaving this section blank. Not because I am a malicious poster that is trying to break the rules and upset the administration here, but simply because I don't know any equations for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried flipping this and finding the cosine of 4pi and graphing it. But I failed to come up with a valid graph and was puzzled. I could take a picture of my "graph", but I don't think anyone could read it. Help would be greatly appreciated here.

Answers and Replies

For what values of x, sec(x) is not defined?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the domain and range of the following function without the use of a calculator:

f(x) = sec (pi x/4)

Homework Equations

As far as I know, this problem doesn't specifically require "equations". Therefore I am leaving this section blank. Not because I am a malicious poster that is trying to break the rules and upset the administration here, but simply because I don't know any equations for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried flipping this and finding the cosine of 4pi and graphing it. But I failed to come up with a valid graph and was puzzled. I could take a picture of my "graph", but I don't think anyone could read it. Help would be greatly appreciated here.
"I tried flipping this and finding the cosine of 4pi ..."

That won't work.

sec(θ) = 1/(cos(θ)). It's not equal to cos(1/θ), nor 1/(cos(1/θ)).

Consider the graph of [itex]\displaystyle y=\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}x\right)\ .[/itex]

Where does this graph have zeros?

What are the maximum & minimum values for y on this graph?