Finding the domain of a composite function

In summary, In this problem, the solution is not found using the definition of composite function. However, @Mark44 shows another way to solve the problem that is valid only if x ≠ 2/3.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Pls see below
Relevant Equations
Pls see below
For this problem,
1677528081908.png

The solution is,
1677528105661.png

However, I tried solving this problem by using the definition of composite function

##f(g(x)) = f(\frac{4}{3x -2}) = \frac{5}{\frac{4}{3x - 2} - 1} = \frac{5}{\frac{6 - 3x}{3x - 2}} = \frac {15x - 10}{6 - 3x}## which only gives a domain ##x ≠ 2##. Would some please know how to find the solution from the composite function?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider: [tex]
\frac{5}{\frac{4}{3x-2}-1} = \frac{5(3x-2)}{\left(\frac{4}{3x-2}-1\right)(3x-2)}.[/tex] This is fine if [itex]x \neq 2/3[/itex], but if [itex]x = 2/3[/itex] then multiplying numerator and denominator by [itex]3x - 2[/itex] is multiplying numerator and denominator by zero, which is not allowed.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and FactChecker
pasmith said:
\frac{5}{\frac{4}{3x-2}-1} = \frac{5(3x-2)}{\left(\frac{4}{3x-2}-1\right)(3x-2)}.[/tex] This is fine if [itex]x \neq 2/3[/itex], but if [itex]x = 2/3[/itex] then multiplying numerator and denominator by [itex]3x - 2[/itex] is multiplying numerator and denominator by zero, which is not allowed.
Thank you for your reply @pasmith!

Sorry, why did you not multiply ##\frac{4}{3x - 2}## individually by the ##\frac{3x-2}{3x-2}##?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Sorry, why did you not multiply ##\frac{4}{3x - 2}## individually by the ##\frac{3x-2}{3x-2}##?
Here's from your work:
Callumnc1 said:
However, I tried solving this problem by using the definition of composite function ##f(g(x)) = f(\frac{4}{3x -2})##
What do you get if x = 2/3 when you evaluate f(g(2/3))?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
pasmith said:

Thank you for your reply @pasmith!

Many thanks!
Sure. If you distribute the ##(3x-2)## in the denominator and then simplify by "cancelling" and collecting terms, you will indeed get ## \dfrac {15x - 10}{6 - 3x}## which is ## \dfrac {5(3x - 2)}{3(2 - x)}## .

However, the point made by @pasmith is that the step he shows, which is required to get your final result;
that step is valid, only if ##x\ne \dfrac 2 3 ##.

@Mark44 shows in a different way, why ##x\ne \dfrac 2 3 ##.

If you study the given solution (the one you posted) seriously, you should notice that the first sentence there says much the same thing as Mark says.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
Mark44 said:
Here's from your work:

What do you get if x = 2/3 when you evaluate f(g(2/3))?
Thank you for your reply @Mark44!

I think I get undefined. However, I thought we were meant to simplify the composite function to that rational function in post #1 before substituting in values?

Many thanks!

SammyS said:
Sure. If you distribute the ##(3x-2)## in the denominator and then simplify by "cancelling" and collecting terms, you will indeed get ## \dfrac {15x - 10}{6 - 3x}## which is ## \dfrac {5(3x - 2)}{3(2 - x)}## .

However, the point made by @pasmith is that the step he shows, which is required to get your final result;
that step is valid, only if ##x\ne \dfrac 2 3 ##.

@Mark44 shows in a different way, why ##x\ne \dfrac 2 3 ##.

If you study the given solution (the one you posted) seriously, you should notice that the first sentence there says much the same thing as Mark says.
Thank you for your reply @SammyS!

I think I understand @pasmith method now! I guess it interesting that he did not simplify the fraction at first to see what values it was zero for, and then to find the other x-value you have to reduce it more to get the rational function I got. I guess this is interesting. Is there a way to remember this technique? I have not seen it in my calculus textbook.

With other composite function problems (without fractions) I have done, I just had to find the x-values that would not work for the final answer without having to do that in intermediate steps.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
I think I get undefined. However, I thought we were meant to simplify the composite function to that rational function in post #1 before substituting in values?
No, not quite. You're asked to find the domain of f(g(x)), which means you have to find values of x for which g(x) is undefined, and values of g(x) for which f is undefined. These values will determine the domain of f(g(x)).

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
With other composite function problems (without fractions) I have done, I just had to find the x-values that would not work for the final answer without having to do that in intermediate steps.
Well, for those problems, it looks like you were simply fortunate.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Mark44 said:
No, not quite. You're asked to find the domain of f(g(x)), which means you have to find values of x for which g(x) is undefined, and values of g(x) for which f is undefined. These values will determine the domain of f(g(x)).
Thank you for your help @Mark44!

SammyS said:
Well, for those problems, it looks like you were simply fortunate.
Thank you for your help @SammyS! Oh ok, that's quite interesting because I solved quite a few of them using that method.

Many thanks!

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a mathematical function that is formed by combining two or more functions. It is written in the form of f(g(x)), where g(x) is the inner function and f(x) is the outer function.

2. How do you find the domain of a composite function?

To find the domain of a composite function, you need to consider the domain of each individual function and determine if there are any restrictions or limitations on the input values. The domain of the composite function will be the intersection of the domains of the individual functions.

3. What are some common restrictions on the domain of a composite function?

Some common restrictions on the domain of a composite function include: division by zero, square roots of negative numbers, and logarithms of non-positive numbers. These restrictions can be determined by analyzing the individual functions within the composite function.

4. Can the domain of a composite function be different from the domains of its individual functions?

Yes, the domain of a composite function can be different from the domains of its individual functions. This is because the combination of functions may introduce new restrictions or limitations on the input values that were not present in the individual functions.

5. Are there any shortcuts for finding the domain of a composite function?

One shortcut for finding the domain of a composite function is to first find the domain of the inner function and then substitute those values into the outer function. This can help to identify any new restrictions on the domain that may have been introduced by the combination of functions.