Finding the dual norm on X' when ||x||=max|ξᵢ|

  • Thread starter Thread starter azdang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dual Norm Space
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
azdang
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


X is the space of ordered n-tuples of real numbers and ||x||=max|[tex]\xi[/tex]j| where x=([tex]\xi[/tex]1,...,[tex]\xi[/tex]n). What is the corresponding norm on the dual space X'?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I think the answer is that ||x*||=|x_1|+...+|x_n| , but I'm not sure if that's correct or how to show it. Any ideas? Thanks so much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I know the dual space,X', is the set of all bounded linear functionals on X and the norm on that space is:
||f||=sup|f(x)|/||x|| for x in X and x not equal to 0
or
||f||=sup|f(x)| for x in X and ||x||=1
 
Hey guys, although Matt advised me to think about the definitions, I'm still confused how to apply them to this problem. Any ideas? Thanks so much.