1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the energy eigenfunctions of infinite well with potential step

1. Oct 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The potential for a particle mass m moving in one dimension is:
    V(x) = infinity for x < 0
    = 0 for 0< x <L
    = V for L< x <2L
    = infinity for x > 2L

Assume the energy of the particle is in the range 0 < E < V

Find the energy eigenfunctions and the equation that determines the energy eigenvalues. Don't worry about normalizing the eigenfunctions.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe I've found the equation for the energy eigenvalues....
    in the region 0 < x < L the wave equation has the form:
    [itex] \psi_1(x) = e^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} [/itex] where [itex] k = \sqrt{2mE}/\hbar[/itex]
    for L < x < 2L, the wave equation is:
    [itex] \psi_2(x) = Ce^{-qx} + De^{qx} [/itex] where [itex] q = \sqrt{2m(E-V)}/\hbar[/itex]

applying the boundary condition [itex] \psi_1(x=0) = 0 [/itex],
    I find B = -1 and the wave equation can be rewritten and simplified as [itex] \psi_1(x) = A' sin(kx) [/itex]

applying the boundary condition [itex] \psi_2(x=2L) = 0 [/itex],
    I find [itex]D = -C e^{-4qL} [/itex] and the wave equation can be simplified to [itex] \psi_2(x) = C' sinh[q(x-2L)] [/itex]

Now, equating these two equations at x = 0 and their derivatives at x=L, and then dividing the two results gave me a solution i can use to solve for E, the energy eigenstates: [itex] q tan(kL) = -k tanh(qL) [/itex]

But now, I'm not sure how to go about finding the energy eigenfunctions... For the plain infinite well, it was easy because you just had one equation, sin(something) = 0 , so something = n*pi. Then you just rewrote the equation with n in it...
    I'm thinking this involves another application of the boundary conditions, but I don't see how quantized energy functions will arise from equating my solutions at x = L...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2## are not wave equations; they're solutions to the wave equation.

Since E<V and you want q to be real, it should be ##q = \sqrt{\frac{2m(V-E)}{\hbar^2}}.##

You've found them for the most part. You have
    $$\psi(x)=\begin{cases}
    A' \sin kx & 0 \le x \le L \\
    C' \sinh q(x-2L) & L < x \le 2L
    \end{cases},$$ where ##k## and ##q## satisfy the relationship you found above. You also have ##k^2+q^2 = k_0^2## where ##k_0^2 = \frac{2mV}{\hbar^2}.## You can't solve for ##k## and ##q## exactly. You should write C' in terms of A'.

4. Oct 4, 2014 #3
    thanks vela - Just to make sure I understand what is going on in this problem: so to find the different energy eigenfunction equations for the different energy states, I solve my energy eigenvalue equation for E (my book uses a plotting and intersection method for the infinite square well), the number of intersections = my number of different every states? So the energy eigenfunction equations would all be the same except substituting in the different E values for each one? And these energy eigenfunction equations take two different forms over the two regions - before and in the potential well?

Other than that, once I clean up my two equations writing C' in terms of A' and relating k and q, that should just be the answer.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  5. Oct 4, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's correct.

6. Oct 4, 2014 #5
    great- thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted