Finding the Error in z for q = -0.6 \pm 10\% and z = 0.2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Kyrios
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For the equation [tex]q = \frac{z(z+2) - 2DH}{z^2}[/tex] [itex]q = -0.6 \pm 10\%[/itex] , and z = 0.2.
D and H are known exactly.
I have to find the error in z that will give an answer of [itex]q = -0.6 \pm 10\%[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I have considered rewriting the equation in terms of z, which gives
[tex]z = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1-2DH(q-1)}}{q-1}[/tex]
but I'm not sure where to go with that, how the plus/minus affects it, and what to do with D and H (if anything).

I've tried to do (error in q * 0.5) / (error in q) which gives an answer for z of [itex]0.2 \pm 10\%[/itex] but that seems a bit too simple
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kyrios said:

Homework Statement



For the equation [tex]q = \frac{z(z+2) - 2DH}{z^2}[/tex] [itex]q = -0.6 \pm 10\%[/itex] , and z = 0.2.
D and H are known exactly.
I have to find the error in z that will give an answer of [itex]q = -0.6 \pm 10\%[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I have considered rewriting the equation in terms of z, which gives
[tex]z = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1-2DH(q-1)}}{q-1}[/tex]
It is not needed. You know that z=0.2. From that, you can determine DH. You know also q and its error.
The error of z can be obtained by differentiating both sides of the equation
[tex]q = \frac{z(z+2) - 2DH}{z^2}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta q =\frac {dq}{dz}\Delta z[/tex] Substitute z, DH, and ##\Delta q##. Solve for ##\Delta z##.

ehild
 
so I get this:

[tex]DH = \frac{z(z+2) - z^2 q}{2} = 0.232[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dq}{dz} = \frac{4DH - 2z}{z^3} = 66[/tex]
[tex]\Delta q = \frac{dq}{dz} \Delta z[/tex]
[tex]\Delta z = \frac{0.06}{66} = 9 \times 10^{-4}[/tex]

The error seems really small..?
 
It is almost right. You made some small mistake when calculating DH. Check.

The error is small, but z=0.2, so its relative error is about 0.5 %.

ehild