Calculating Inverse z-Transform for X(z) = z/(z-0.2)^2(z+0.1)

In summary: So, in this case, we could re-write the equation as follows:x[nT] = x[0] + (z-0.2)*(x[1]*x[0]) + (z-0.2)*(x[2]*x[1])
ongxom

Homework Statement

Find inverse z-transform of
[itex]X(z) = \frac{z}{(z-0.2)^2(z+0.1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

: partial fraction
My method :[itex]\frac{X(z)}{z} = \frac{1}{(z-0.2)^2(z+0.1)}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{X(z)}{z} = \frac{-100/9}{(z-0.2)} + \frac{10/3}{(z-0.2)^2} + \frac{100/9}{z+0.1}[/itex]
[itex]X(z) = \frac{(-100/9)z}{z-0.2}+\frac{(10/3)z}{(z-0.2)^2}+\frac{(100/9)z}{z+0.1}[/itex]
[itex]X(z) = \frac{(-100/9)}{1-0.2z^-1}+\frac{(10/3)}{(1-0.2z^-1)^-2}+\frac{(100/9)}{1+0.1z^-1}[/itex]
→ [itex]x[nT]=(-100/9)0.2^n+(50/3)n.0.2^n+(100/9)(-0.1)^n[/itex]

My friend :
[itex]Y(z)=\frac{4}{z-0.2} + \frac{6z}{(z-0.2)^2} + \frac{-2}{z+0.1}[/itex]
[itex]Y(z)=\frac{4z^-1}{1-0.2z^-1} + \frac{6z^-1}{(1-0.2z^-1)^2} + \frac{-2z^-1}{1+0.1z^-1}[/itex]
→ [itex]y[nT]=-4.(0.2)^n.u[n-1]+30n.(0.2)^n.u[n]-2.(-0.1)^nu.[n-1][/itex]

I don't know which method gives correct result.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
On these face of it, it looks like a fourth order polynomial.
I type "z=x(z+.1)(z-.2)(z-.2)" into wolframalpha.com and got something entirely different.
I suspect the course work is expecting a particular strategy.

ongxom said:

The Attempt at a Solution

: partial fraction
My method :[itex]\frac{X(z)}{z} = \frac{1}{(z-0.2)^2(z+0.1)}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{X(z)}{z} = \frac{-100/9}{(z-0.2)} + \frac{10/3}{(z-0.2)^2} + \frac{100/9}{z+0.1}[/itex]
[itex]X(z) = \frac{(-100/9)z}{z-0.2}+\frac{(10/3)z}{(z-0.2)^2}+\frac{(100/9)z}{z+0.1}[/itex]

Assuming your X(z) partial fraction expansion is correct to this point, the difficulty seems to be to invert the double pole at z = 0.2.

I rewrote

[itex]\frac{z}{(z-0.2)^2}[/itex] = z-1/(1 - 2az-1 + a2z-2) with a = 0.2.

Then I got wolfram alpha to give me x[n] = na(n-1)u[n-1].

Maybe you can fit this in with the rest which should be conventional inverse transformations.

Last edited:
This is the instruction from the book :
bfadca3eb2740d775078aa479cba59c4.png

But it does not say if this method can be applied for the fraction which has the order of numerator is equal or larger than denominator.

Can I use the above method to find z-inverse of following fraction (order of numerator is larger and/or equal)

[itex]X(z)=\frac{4-z^{-1}}{2-2z^{-1}+z^{-2}}[/itex]
[itex]X(z)=\frac{2+z^{-1}+z^{-2}}{1+0.4z^{-1}+0.4z^{-2}}[/itex]
[itex]X(z)=\frac{z^{-2}+z^{-1}}{z^{-3}-z^{-2}+2z^{-1}+1}[/itex]

ongxom said:
But it does not say if this method can be applied for the fraction which has the order of numerator is equal or larger than denominator.

That is not the case with your z transform. F(z) = Az/(z-γ)2 has order of denominator > order of numerator.

You can rewrire F(z) = Az-1/(1 - γz-1)2.

I see nothing wrong with your instructions. If your table includes that expression then just follow it!
You seem to have a good z transform table!

rude man said:
That is not the case with your z transform. F(z) = Az/(z-γ)2 has order of denominator > order of numerator.

You can rewrire F(z) = Az-1/(1 - γz-1)2.

I see nothing wrong with your instructions. If your table includes that expression then just follow it!
You seem to have a good z transform table!

Yes, the instruction works for the problem in my first post. But i am wondering if it works for the function like this :
[itex]X(z)=\frac{4-z^{-1}}{2-2z^{-1}+z^{-2}}[/itex]

The numerator's lowest order is (-1), the denominator has (-2) as a lowest order. Can I multiply both numerator and denominator with z2 and do the rest using same method ? In the instruction the order is (-6) and (-5) respectively, so I am not sure if I can follow 8 steps for the above function.

Related to Calculating Inverse z-Transform for X(z) = z/(z-0.2)^2(z+0.1)

1. What is the purpose of finding the inverse z-transform?

The inverse z-transform is used to convert a function in the z-domain back to its original form in the time domain. This is important in signal processing and control systems, where the input and output signals are often represented in the z-domain but need to be converted back to the time domain for analysis and implementation.

2. How is the inverse z-transform different from the z-transform?

The z-transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze signals and systems in the z-domain, while the inverse z-transform is used to convert a function back to the time domain. The z-transform is typically used for representation and manipulation of signals, while the inverse z-transform is used for reconstruction of signals.

3. What are the methods for finding the inverse z-transform?

There are several methods for finding the inverse z-transform, including partial fraction expansion, power series expansion, contour integration, and table lookup. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the function and the desired accuracy of the result.

4. Can the inverse z-transform be computed using software?

Yes, there are many software tools available that can calculate the inverse z-transform, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python. These tools use numerical methods to approximate the inverse z-transform and provide accurate results.

5. What are the limitations of the inverse z-transform?

The inverse z-transform may not exist for certain functions, such as those with poles on the unit circle in the z-plane. In addition, the inverse z-transform may be difficult to compute for complex functions, and the resulting time-domain function may be complicated and difficult to interpret. It is important to carefully choose the method of inverse z-transform calculation to avoid these limitations.