Finding the extremal of ∫y²(1+(y')²) dx with Euler-Lagrange equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jimmycricket
Messages
115
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Find the extremal for the case
[tex]\int_a^b y^2(1+(y')^2) \, dx[/tex]
where [itex]y(a)=y_{0}, y(b)=y_{1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Using the Euler-Lagrange equation for a functional that doesn't depend on x I get
[tex]F-y'\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}=c[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow y^2(1-(y')^2)=c[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{c}{y^2}}}dy=\int dx[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow y=\frac{-c}{x^2-1}[/tex]
Now I have to sub this y(x) into the original integral and I am comfortable doing the integral apart from what to do for the upper and lower limits of integration.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There should be another free parameter from the integration.
You can use the limits of the integration to fix those two parameters.
 
That doesn't look like any version of Euler Lagrange I know. I'd try looking it up again. You should get a 2nd order ODE.
 
In this case F does not depend on x so the E-L equation is reduced to
[tex]F-y'\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}=c[/tex] and you are left with a 1st order ode.