Euler-Lagrange Equation for Several Dependent Variables

In summary, the student attempted to solve an equation for u using Euler-Lagrange equations, but was not sure if it was correct.
CMJ96

Homework Statement

Bnh5vg2.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

$$f_u- \frac{d}{dx} \left(f_{u'} \right) = 0 $$
$$f_v- \frac{d}{dx} \left(f_{v'} \right) = 0 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated the following, if someone could check what I've done it would be greatly appreciated, but I'm not convinced this is right :nb)
$$f=(u')^2+2uv+(v')^2$$
$$f_u=2v$$
$$f_v=2u$$
$$f_{u'}=2u'$$
$$f_{v'}=2v'$$
Subbing these into the Euler-Lagrange equations I got
$$v-u''=0$$
$$u-v''=0$$
Then I subbed ##v=u''## into ##u-v''=0## to get ##u-u''''=0##.
Using ##u=e^{\alpha x}## I got the following expression (not sure if this bit is right)
$$u(x)=Ae^{-x} +Be^{x} +Ce^{ix} +De^{-ix} $$
I'm not sure if I can use the boundary conditions to find the extremals with this? it doesn't look like it would simplify down to a tidy solution?

Attachments

• Bnh5vg2.png
    Bnh5vg2.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,747
Physics news on Phys.org
CMJ96 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225283 [/B]

Homework Equations

$$f_u- \frac{d}{dx} \left(f_{u'} \right) = 0 $$
$$f_v- \frac{d}{dx} \left(f_{v'} \right) = 0 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated the following, if someone could check what I've done it would be greatly appreciated, but I'm not convinced this is right :nb)
$$f=(u')^2+2uv+(v')^2$$
$$f_u=2v$$
$$f_v=2u$$
$$f_{u'}=2u'$$
$$f_{v'}=2v'$$
Subbing these into the Euler-Lagrange equations I got
$$v-u''=0$$
$$u-v''=0$$
Then I subbed ##v=u''## into ##u-v''=0## to get ##u-u''''=0##.
Using ##u=e^{\alpha x}## I got the following expression (not sure if this bit is right)
$$u(x)=Ae^{-x} +Be^{x} +Ce^{ix} +De^{-ix} $$
I'm not sure if I can use the boundary conditions to find the extremals with this? it doesn't look like it would simplify down to a tidy solution?

You can easily check for yourself if this is correct: from you formula for ##u## you can get a formula for ##v## as ##v = u''##. Then you can check if your ##v## gives you ##u = v''##.

Also: get rid of the question marks ("?"). You should be telling us that you are unsure, rather than asking us if you are unsure.

Ahhhh yes I see! I didn't think of doing that,when I subbed my U value into the equations it worked. Thanks for the tip, simple but effective :)

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation for several dependent variables?

The Euler-Lagrange equation for several dependent variables is a mathematical formula used to find the equations of motion for a system with multiple dependent variables. It is an extension of the original Euler-Lagrange equation, which is used for systems with only one dependent variable.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived for several dependent variables?

The Euler-Lagrange equation for several dependent variables is derived using the calculus of variations. This involves finding the functional derivative of the Lagrangian, which is a function that describes the dynamics of the system, with respect to each dependent variable. These derivatives are then set equal to zero to find the equations of motion.

3. What are the applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation for several dependent variables?

The Euler-Lagrange equation for several dependent variables is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and analyze complex systems. It is particularly useful in fields such as classical mechanics, continuum mechanics, and optimal control theory.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Euler-Lagrange equation for several dependent variables?

One limitation of the Euler-Lagrange equation for several dependent variables is that it can only be used for systems that can be described using a Lagrangian. This means that the system must have a well-defined kinetic and potential energy, and it must follow the principle of least action.

5. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation for several dependent variables be extended to include constraints?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation for several dependent variables can be extended to include constraints. This is done by introducing Lagrange multipliers, which are additional terms in the Lagrangian that account for the constraints in the system. The resulting equations of motion will then reflect both the constraints and the dynamics of the system.