Finding the force given the mass and radius.

In summary, To calculate the force between two objects, you can use the equation F = GmM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the object, M is the mass of the planet or star, and r is the distance between the two objects. The gravitational constant (G) has a value of 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2 and can be used for any mass and radius, as long as the units are consistent. The mass and radius directly affect the force according to the equation, with larger values resulting in a stronger gravitational pull between objects. The units of force when using this equation are newtons (N) in the International System of Units
ilc
The attachment shows my approach to this problem, however, the answer is incorrect.

can anyone explain to me how i should be thinking of this problem?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
ilc said:
The attachment shows my approach to this problem, however, the answer is incorrect.

can anyone explain to me how i should be thinking of this problem?
attachment.php?attachmentid=51318&d=1348976198.jpg

Hello ilc. Welcome to PF!

Draw a free body diagram for the roller-coaster car.

There are two forces acting in the car.

You only accounted for one of them.

1. How do I calculate the force given the mass and radius?

To calculate the force, you will need to use the equation F = GmM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the object, M is the mass of the planet or star, and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. What is the gravitational constant (G)?

The gravitational constant (G) is a fundamental constant that appears in the equation for gravitational force. It has a value of 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

3. Can I use the same equation for any mass and radius?

Yes, the equation F = GmM/r^2 can be used for any mass and radius, as long as the units are consistent (e.g. mass in kilograms and radius in meters).

4. How does the mass and radius affect the force?

The mass and radius directly affect the force according to the equation F = GmM/r^2. As the mass or radius increases, the force between two objects also increases. This is because the larger the mass or radius, the stronger the gravitational pull between the two objects.

5. What are the units of force when using this equation?

The units of force when using the equation F = GmM/r^2 are newtons (N). This is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).