Finding the function, given the gradient.

In summary, the gradient function is given by f'(x) = |x|^p-2 x and the task is to find the function f(x). The function must be convex and p must be greater than 1. The conversation discusses different approaches to finding f(x), including using the standard definition of the gradient and working with the piecewise definition of |x|. Ultimately, the solution is found to be f(x) = 1/p |x|^p.
braindead101
the gradient function is |x|^p-2 x
and i need to find the function, which apparently is 1/p |x|^p but i can't figure out how to show this.
This is for a bigger problem where the function must be convex. and also p>1

I tried, finding the derivative of 1/p |x|^p , but i don't get the gradient function.
At first, I thought about this function: 1/p-1 |x|^p-1 where you can easily get the gradient function by taking the derivative but i was told that this is not a convex function.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify, you're using the standard definition of the gradient as [tex]\nabla = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \textbf{i} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \textbf{j} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}\textbf{k}?[/tex]

In other words, [tex]\nabla[/tex] is an operation on a scalar function which returns a vector function. The functions you've given me are both scalar. Is it possible you typed it in wrong?

Last edited:
yes, i have the gradient f(x)= |x|^p-2 x, and i need to find f(x), in class, the definition of gradient is just the derivative w.r.t x of f(x)
so i am asking why 1/p |x|^p is the answer because i don't see how you can use this, to find the gradient function |x|^p-2 x. so I thought the function was something else: 1/p-1 |x|^p-1, but i was told this function is not convex.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you're given [tex]f'(x)=|x|^p - 2x[/tex], and you're asked to find [tex]f(x)[/tex]. First of all, have you learned antiderivatives yet? Oh, and I'm pretty sure there's no possible way for [tex]f(x)=\frac{|x|^p}{p}[/tex] for [tex]x \neq 0[/tex].

Last edited:
no the function is this: gradient f(x) = x |x|^(p-2) maybe this is more clear way to write it. and somehow get f(x) = 1/p |x|^p from it.

Oh. I see. Try remembering that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(|x|) = \texttt{sign}\ x = \frac{x}{|x|} = \frac{|x|}{x}[/tex]

ok, should i be working from the gradient f(x) -> f(x) or vice versa.
as well , i am getting confused.
is this correct: to work from gradient f(x) -> f(x) we integrate. and f(x)-> gradient f(x) we differentiate.
working from f(x) -> gradient.. i don't see how i can get gradient f(x).
and going from gradient f(x) -> f(x) , i havn't a clue how to integrate that function

yes, that's correct. Try working with the piecewise definition of [tex]|x|[/tex], i.e.

[tex]|x| = \left{ \begin{cases} x, & x>0\\ -x, & x<0\end{cases} [/tex]

so which way should i be working?
gradient f(x) -> f(x)?

can you tell me how to integrate this? or at least start, so i can get 1/p|x|^p , i need this small part for a bigger problem and this is making me stuck.

i have thought about what you said about the piecewise, but that confuses me even more as i have to deal with not one but 2 functions now

ok, so i can get 1/px^p for the x>0 case.
but for the x<0 case:
i am struggling
i have,
integ( (-x)^(p-2) x dx)
can i write this as:
= integ( (-1)^p (x)^(p-2) x dx )
so,
= (-1)^p integ (x^(p-2) x dx)
which is just
= (-1)^p 1/p x^p
now how can i put the two together... to make x into |x|?

What is the purpose of finding the function given the gradient?

The purpose of finding the function given the gradient is to determine the mathematical relationship between two variables. The gradient, also known as the slope, provides information about the rate of change of a function. By finding the function, we can make predictions and solve problems related to the given data.

What is the process for finding the function given the gradient?

The process for finding the function given the gradient involves using the gradient formula, which is the change in y divided by the change in x. Once the gradient is determined, it can be substituted into the equation y = mx + b, where m is the gradient and b is the y-intercept. This will give us the equation of the function.

What are the different methods for finding the function given the gradient?

There are various methods for finding the function given the gradient, such as using the point-slope form, the slope-intercept form, or the general form of a linear equation. Other methods include using a table of values, graphing, or using the two-point formula. The choice of method depends on the given data and the preference of the scientist.

What are some common applications of finding the function given the gradient?

Finding the function given the gradient has many real-world applications. It is commonly used in physics to determine the velocity or acceleration of an object, in economics to analyze supply and demand curves, and in engineering to calculate the slope of a graph. It can also be used in various other fields such as biology, chemistry, and finance.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding the function given the gradient?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding the function given the gradient include using the wrong formula or method, making calculation errors, and forgetting to include units in the final answer. It is also important to check for any extraneous solutions and to make sure the equation accurately represents the given data. It is recommended to double-check all steps and calculations to ensure accuracy.