Finding the gyromagnetic ratio of an axially symmetric body

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
\Tau_{\mu\ni}
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



So, we can presumably write that m = g L, where L is the angular momentum, g the ratio wanted, and m magnetic dipole moment of an axially symmetric body. Total mass is M, total charge Q, mass density [itex]\rho_m(r)=\frac{M}{Q}\rho_e(r)[/itex], where [itex]\rho_e(r)[/itex] is charge density.

Homework Equations



Moment of inertia can also be written [itex]I_\omega=\int \rho_m d^2 d\tau[/itex] where d is the distance from the axis of symmetry.

The Attempt at a Solution



I guess the dipole moment is in the direction of the axis of the symmetry, as is the angular velocity and it can be written:
m = g I[itex]_\omega[/itex] ω

RHS:
= g ω [itex]\hat{z}[/itex] I[itex]_\omega[/itex]

LHS:
m = I [itex]\int d\vec{a}[/itex]

Here is where I guess I'm having conceptual problems. I is the total current, part of which should be a current flowing through a differential circular loop inside the body, at distance d, that is to say:

I = [itex]\int \left| v \right| \rho_e d\tau[/itex] , where [itex]\left|v\right|[/itex] is the module of radial speed of a differential volume element (at distance d) that can be written: [itex]\left|v\right|=\left|\omega\right|\left|r\right|[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]= ωd. [itex]\int d\vec{a}[/itex] of a differential loop in question is simply [itex]d^2 \pi[/itex]. So, I am getting:

g ω [itex]\int \rho_m d^2 d\tau[/itex] =ω [itex]\int d^3 \pi \frac{M}{Q} \rho_m d\tau[/itex]

Where did I go wrong, how to find g?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? :( the integrals are supposed to annihilate each other leaving me with a factor ~M/Q