1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the image and completing multiplication tables for G/N and Im(G)

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider this group of six matrices:

Let G = {I, A, B, C, D, K}, Matrix Multiplication>

[tex]I =\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]A =\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]B =\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\-1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]C =\begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1\\0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]D =\begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]K =\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\-1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Operation Table for this group:

_|I A B C D K
    I |I A B C D K
    A|A I C B K D
    B|B K D A I C
    C|C D K I A B
    D|D C I K B A
    K|K B A D C I

Define [tex] f:G\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\left\langle\(R^{*}, \bullet\right\rangle[/tex] by f(x) = det(x) for any Matrix x [tex]\in[/tex] G.

Questions:

List all the elements in the image of G?

Complete coset multiplication tables for G/N (N being the Ker(f)) and Im(G) (a subgroup of <R*, [tex]\bullet[/tex]>

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the image of G is the range. I'm not exactly sure what to consider the range.

For the multiplication tables I know I'm to set it up like this but I'm not sure how to complete them. I appreciate any help. I do know that the Ker(f) is {I, B, D}.

G/N:
    _|_______
    |
    |
    |

Image(G):
    _|_________
    |
    |
    |

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the first part, go through all six matrices and calculate f(x) for each of them. For example, f(A) = -1.

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    So, the f(x)'s i receive are 1 and -1. Oh so that's what my image should be. I get that now. Thanks.

5. May 4, 2010 #4
    Any help on the tables from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I'm thinking for the G/N table:

__|N Na
    N| N Na
    Na| Na N

I found only 2 cosets and one is the Kernel and the other one I called Na due to a being one of the elements in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook