Finding the image and completing multiplication tables for G/N and Im(G)

In summary: For the Im(G) table, I'm thinking that it would be something like this: __|Im(G) Im(G)/NIm(G)/N|1Im(G)|0
The_Iceflash

Homework Statement

Consider this group of six matrices:

Let G = {I, A, B, C, D, K}, Matrix Multiplication>

[tex]I =\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]A =\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]B =\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\-1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]C =\begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1\\0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]D =\begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]K =\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\-1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Operation Table for this group:

_|I A B C D K
I |I A B C D K
A|A I C B K D
B|B K D A I C
C|C D K I A B
D|D C I K B A
K|K B A D C I

Define [tex] f:G\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\left\langle\(R^{*}, \bullet\right\rangle[/tex] by f(x) = det(x) for any Matrix x [tex]\in[/tex] G.

Questions:

List all the elements in the image of G?

Complete coset multiplication tables for G/N (N being the Ker(f)) and Im(G) (a subgroup of <R*, [tex]\bullet[/tex]>

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the image of G is the range. I'm not exactly sure what to consider the range.

For the multiplication tables I know I'm to set it up like this but I'm not sure how to complete them. I appreciate any help. I do know that the Ker(f) is {I, B, D}.

G/N:
_|_______
|
|
|

Image(G):
_|_________
|
|
|

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The_Iceflash said:

Homework Statement

Consider this group of six matrices:

Let G = {I, A, B, C, D, K}, Matrix Multiplication>

[tex]I =\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]A =\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]B =\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\-1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]C =\begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1\\0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]D =\begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]K =\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\-1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Operation Table for this group:

_|I A B C D K
I |I A B C D K
A|A I C B K D
B|B K D A I C
C|C D K I A B
D|D C I K B A
K|K B A D C I

Define [tex] f:G\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\left\langle\(R^{*}, \bullet\right\rangle[/tex] by f(x) = det(x) for any Matrix x [tex]\in[/tex] G.

Questions:

List all the elements in the image of G?

Complete coset multiplication tables for G/N (N being the Ker(f)) and Im(G) (a subgroup of <R*, [tex]\bullet[/tex]>

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the image of G is the range. I'm not exactly sure what to consider the range.

For the multiplication tables I know I'm to set it up like this but I'm not sure how to complete them. I appreciate any help. I do know that the Ker(f) is {I, B, D}.

G/N:
_|_______
|
|
|

Image(G):
_|_________
|
|
|

For the first part, go through all six matrices and calculate f(x) for each of them. For example, f(A) = -1.

So, the f(x)'s i receive are 1 and -1. Oh so that's what my image should be. I get that now. Thanks.

Any help on the tables from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I'm thinking for the G/N table:

__|N Na
N| N Na
Na| Na N

I found only 2 cosets and one is the Kernel and the other one I called Na due to a being one of the elements in it.

1. What is the purpose of finding the image and completing multiplication tables for G/N and Im(G)?

The purpose of finding the image and completing multiplication tables for G/N and Im(G) is to understand the structure and relationships within a group and its subgroups. This helps in solving problems related to group theory and can also provide insights into other mathematical concepts.

2. How do you find the image of a group G under a subgroup N?

The image of a group G under a subgroup N is the set of all elements in G that are mapped to by elements in N. To find the image, one can apply the group operation to every element in N and see what elements in G are produced. The resulting set is the image of G under N.

3. What is the importance of completing multiplication tables for G/N and Im(G)?

Completing multiplication tables for G/N and Im(G) is important because it provides a systematic way of understanding the group operation and its properties. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships within the group and its subgroups, which can be useful in solving problems involving group theory.

4. Can the image of a group under a subgroup be the same as the group itself?

Yes, it is possible for the image of a group under a subgroup to be the same as the group itself. This can happen when the subgroup is the identity element or when the subgroup is a normal subgroup of the group.

5. How can the image of a group under a subgroup be used to solve problems?

The image of a group under a subgroup can be used to solve problems by providing a way to break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also help in identifying symmetries and patterns within the group, which can be used to simplify calculations and proofs.