Finding the intersection of y = √x and y = 2 - x for a double integral

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
Amaelle
Messages
318
Reaction score
55
Homework Statement
look at the image
Relevant Equations
double integral
Greetings All!

I have a problem finding the correct solution at first glance

My error was to determine the region of integration , for doing so I had to the intersection between y= sqrt(x) and y=2-x

to do so
x=(2-x)^2
to find at the end that x=1 or x=5

while graphically we can see that the region start from x=0 they intersect in x=1 and never meet again!

could someone help me with my confusion ?

Thank you!
1644410525129.png

√
 
Attachments
  • 1644410449256.png
    1644410449256.png
    19 KB · Views: 187
Physics news on Phys.org
anuttarasammyak said:
Drawing the region on xy plane would help you.
yes this i what I done
I just want to know why my analitical results was wrong
 
The solutions are x=1 and x=4 but the x=4 solution is not accepted because we want 2-x to be greater than zero. Remember that the inequality is $$0\leq \sqrt x\leq y\leq 2-x$$
 
Delta2 said:
The solutions are x=1 and x=4 but the x=4 solution is not accepted because we want 2-x to be greater than zero. Remember that the inequality is $$0\leq \sqrt x\leq y\leq 2-x$$
thanks a million! you nail it!