Finding the Inverse Function Formula for Rational Expressions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of a function in the form of $\,f(x) \:=\:\dfrac{ax+b}{cx+d}$ and arriving at the formula $\:f^{\text{-}1}(x) \;=\;\dfrac{dx-b}{\text{-}cx+a}$, which can be easily remembered by switching the coefficients on the main diagonal and changing the signs on the minor diagonal. This general formula is useful for teaching and can be applied to various functions.
soroban

One semester I was asked to find the inverse of $\,f(x) \:=\:\dfrac{3x - 5}{2x+1}$
Later, I had to find the inverse of $\,f(x) \:=\:\dfrac{2x+7}{4x-3}$

It occurred to me that a general formula would a handy tool.
Especially since I planned to teach Mathematics and I might
be teaching this very topic every semester.

So I solved it for: $\,f(x) \:=\:\dfrac{ax+b}{cx+d}$

And arrived at: $\:f^{\text{-}1}(x) \;=\;\dfrac{dx-b}{\text{-}cx+a}$

This is easily remembered . . .

(1) Switch the coefficients on the main diagonal ($a$ and $d$).

(2) Change the signs on the minor diagonal ($b$ and $c$).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nice! That's real cool, soroban :)

Related to Finding the Inverse Function Formula for Rational Expressions

What is an inverse function formula?

An inverse function formula is a mathematical equation that allows you to find the inverse of a given function. It is used to determine the original input value of a function when given the output value.

Why is the inverse function formula important?

The inverse function formula is important because it allows you to solve for the original input value of a function, which can be useful in many real-world applications. For example, it can help determine the original price of an item based on the discounted price.

How do you find the inverse function formula?

To find the inverse function formula, you need to follow a few steps. First, switch the x and y variables in the original function. Then, solve for y in terms of x. This new equation will be the inverse function formula.

What are the properties of inverse functions?

There are a few important properties of inverse functions. One is that the domain and range are switched between the original function and its inverse. Another is that the composition of an inverse function with its original function will always result in the input value.

What is the notation used for inverse functions?

The notation used for inverse functions is f-1(x), where f-1 represents the inverse function of f. This notation is read as "f inverse of x."