Finding Min Value of $\dfrac{|b|+|c|}{a}$ from Roots of Cubic Equations

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter anemone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cubic Roots Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Messages
3,851
Reaction score
115
If $\alpha,\,\beta,\,\gamma$ are the roots of the equation $x^3+ax+1=0$, where $a$ is a positive real number and $\dfrac{\alpha}{\beta},\,\dfrac{\beta}{\gamma},\,\dfrac{\gamma}{\alpha}$ be the roots of the equation $x^3+bx^2+cx-1=0$, find the minimum value of $\dfrac{|b|+|c|}{a}$.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
is the answer 3/a
anemone said:
If $\alpha,\,\beta,\,\gamma$ are the roots of the equation $x^3+ax+1=0$, where $a$ is a positive real number and $\dfrac{\alpha}{\beta},\,\dfrac{\beta}{\gamma},\,\dfrac{\gamma}{\alpha}$ be the roots of the equation $x^3+bx^2+cx-1=0$, find the minimum value of $\dfrac{|b|+|c|}{a}$.

Is the answer $3/a$
 
solakis said:
Is the answer $3/a$

Nope, sorry solakis!
 
Hi solakis and to all MHB members,

I am sorry that I still haven't gotten around to follow up all my unanswered challenges here in MHB! (Sadface) I promise that once I got my personal things straighten out a bit more, I will have more time for MHB then.

To answer to your query, solakis, the answer to this problem is $3888^{\tiny\dfrac{1}{6}}$.