Finding the iodide ion concentration

In summary, the concentration of iodide ion in the solution is 0.063 M, calculated using simple stoichiometry based on the given information about the addition of an excess of lead nitrate to the solution and the resulting formation of lead iodide.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

What is the iodide ion concentration in a solution if the addition of an excess of 0.100 M Pb(NO3)2 to 37.2 mL of the solution produces 539.7 mg of PbI2?

Homework Equations

possibly c(1)*V(1)=c(2)*V(2) is pertinent to the problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if this is relevant to finding the concentration of Iodine, but I went ahead and converted total number of 539 mg PbI2 => the number of mmols of I^1-

n= 539 mg PbI2 *(1 mmol PbI2/461 mg PbI2) *(2 mmol I^1- /1 mmol PbI2)= 2.34 mmol I^1-

.100 M Pb(NO3)2 = .100 mmol Pb(NO3)2/mL

.110 mmol Pb(NO3)2/mL*(37.2 mL)=3.72 mmol Pb(NO3)2

Perhaps I didn't need to find the total mmol of Pb(NO3)2 and maybe just needed to divide the number of millimoles of ion by the total volume of the solution.

Maybe the concentration of [I^1-] = 2.34 mmol I^1- /( 37.2 mL of solution)

[I^1-] = .063 M

Physics news on Phys.org
This is simple stoichiometry, start with reaction equation.

I would approach this problem by using the equation c1V1 = c2V2, where c1 is the initial concentration of the solution (in this case, Pb(NO3)2), V1 is the initial volume of the solution, c2 is the final concentration of the solution (in this case, PbI2), and V2 is the final volume of the solution.

Using this equation, we can rearrange it to solve for c2, which is the concentration of the iodide ion. This would give us:

c2 = (c1V1)/V2

Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get:

c2 = (0.100 M * 37.2 mL)/37.2 mL = 0.100 M

This means that the final concentration of PbI2 is 0.100 M. However, this is not the concentration of the iodide ion. To find the concentration of the iodide ion, we need to consider the stoichiometry of the reaction. From the balanced equation, we can see that for every 2 moles of iodide ion, we get 1 mole of PbI2. This means that the concentration of iodide ion is half of the concentration of PbI2.

Therefore, the concentration of the iodide ion is 0.050 M (0.100 M/2). This means that the iodide ion concentration in the solution is 0.050 M.

1. What is the importance of finding the iodide ion concentration?

The iodide ion concentration is important because it can impact various chemical reactions and processes, such as the production of thyroid hormones in the body, the rate of organic reactions, and the stability of certain products.

2. How is the iodide ion concentration typically measured?

The iodide ion concentration can be measured using a variety of methods, including titration, spectrophotometry, and ion-selective electrodes. The most commonly used method is titration, which involves adding a known volume of a solution with a known concentration of iodide ions to a solution with an unknown concentration, until the reaction reaches a specific endpoint.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of iodide ion concentration measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of iodide ion concentration measurements, including the quality and purity of the chemicals used, the precision of the equipment, and any contaminants present in the sample. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to obtain accurate results.

4. How does the iodide ion concentration affect the rate of certain reactions?

The iodide ion concentration can act as a catalyst in certain reactions, increasing the rate at which the reaction occurs. This is because iodide ions are able to participate in the reaction without being consumed, allowing them to speed up the reaction without being used up themselves.

5. What are some potential applications of knowing the iodide ion concentration?

Knowing the iodide ion concentration can have a wide range of applications, including in the medical field for diagnosing and treating thyroid disorders, in the food industry for measuring the iodine content in food products, and in environmental monitoring for tracking the levels of iodide ions in water sources.