1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Lagrangian of a bead sliding along a wire

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A bead with mass m slides without friction on a wire which lies in a vertical plane near the earth. The wire lies in the x-z plane and is bent into a shape conforming to the parabola az = x2, where a is a positive known constant. (X is horizontal and z is vertical) The particle moves in the x-z plane but its motion is constrained by the requirement that it remains on the wire.

Find the kinetic energy in terms of m, a, x, x-dot. (Eliminate z and z-dot using the constraint)"

2. Relevant equations
    z = x2/a and z-dot = (x-dot)2/a
    (I think these are the restraint equations, unless I did these wrong.)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that K = (1/2)mv2, so in this case wouldn't that translate to K = (1/2)*m*((x-dot)2 + (z-dot)2)?

If so, then continuing on, K = (1/2)*m*(x-dot)2+((x-dot)2/a)2) or K = (1/2)*m*(x-dot)2+[(x-dot)4/a2]

Am I doing this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    It's not specified within the problem given. I just rearranged the given equation ( az = x^2 ) and applied it to z-dot as well, since part of the problem later requires eliminating z and z-dot.

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I would have written z-dot = 2x(x-dot)/a.

Would you like to see how I got that? Might be a chance for you to make a fool out of me. It happens often enough! :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook