Finding the length of this side of similar figures

  • Thread starter Thread starter songoku
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
songoku
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
395
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Similarity
1643290279224.png


Is it possible to find the value of ##x##? I feel like the information is not enough to find it.

I have found EF, which is 19.8 cm (if this is helpful)

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't find ##x## from the information given.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog, hutchphd, berkeman and 1 other person
If you made a "3,4, 5" right triangle with 5x as the hypotenuse, you could get closer to a solution.
 
osilmag said:
If you made a "3,4, 5" right triangle with 5x as the hypotenuse, you could get closer to a solution.
Sorry I don't understand. I think what you suggest is related to ratio, not to actual length, or am I mistaken?

Thanks
 
It seems to me that you could make up any value for ##x##, e.g. 3, and then find that some other value, e.g. 5, would work just as well.